Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, February 25, 2010

Info Post
At first I thought this post would be all about the kids again, but really, who am I kidding?  We as adults snack as much as youngsters do, so I am not gonna profile here, this post is for everyone!

Snacking is actually considered healthy, when done in moderation.  However, how many of us open up the cupboard, stare at the insides for many minutes, and due to lack of options, grab a big 'ol sack of potato chips or cookies, only to realize that before you know it, the bag is half empty, or even worse, gone.

I found myself guilty of this, and my kids as well.  Which takes snacking from healthy to deadly in a matter of seconds.  So, I put my little organization hat on, and decided to dedicate a portion of our new pantry (sharing the project in pieces before the big reveal) to nothing other than, SNACKS.

This week, when I returned home from my weekly grocery shopping trip, I did something a little bit different when I was putting away the goods.  Actually, it started at the grocery store itself.  I only purchased snacks from larger packaging (forget those pricey pre-packaged snack packs and 100 calorie packs), and I made sure they were somewhat on the healthy side.  Then when I returned home, I laid the snacks out on the counter, grabbed a bunch of sandwich and snack sized baggies, and started filling them with the contents of the big bags/boxes.  This included everything from Trail Mix, Teddy Grahams, Goldfishy Crackers and Popcorn.  And some things are just easier in pre-packaged smaller pouches, such as Peanut Butter Crackers, Raisins and the not so healthy Rice Krispie Bar splurge.

Once they were all packaged up, I tossed them into a big green plastic basket, the same kind I use for recycling:


So inside their new home, it looked like this:


Totally a snacker's paradise!  And it took like a total of like 15 seconds to do this, and the payoff is HUGE!  First off, the kids don't need any assistance getting a snack, because they can now easily find what snacks are for them, and only eat good portions.  Secondly, it actually takes up far less cabinet space than all of the boxes and packages would have.  Win win!

Then, referring back to the exact same process I used here to create my suitcase tag, I created a label for the front of the SNACK basket:

And here it is all printed out, matted and laminated:


Then, I just used a Velcro square to attach it to the front of the basket:

 

Like so:

 

And then into the pantry went the basket:


We have been living with the new SNACK basket for almost a week now, and the whole family totally HEARTS this one!

Anyone else doing something similar in their kitchen?  And really, there is no reason for me to stop here.  In fact, this was such a positive outcome, that I am already thinking ahead to my next grocery trip, and how I can use this idea in the fridge, and store healthy fresh fruit and veggie snacks!  As I frequently say, ideas can be used over and over in many different rooms and areas of your life!




Psssst!  Plastic baggies are SO last year!  Check out how we updated this process to be a little more earth friendly

0 comments:

Post a Comment