Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Info Post
For awhile now I have been itching to add a little extra display storage to our kitchen.  So that's just what we ended up doing this weekend.  And it took like no time at all to make a majorly great change, which is just my kind of project!

I am somewhat of a sucker for bright accents and they seem to be accumulating in our kitchen.  I find myself stashing most away and swapping things out here and there.  Now, I know that most of my accessories didn't enjoy being on a "time out", and are pretty happy they can all spend time together now, and being displayed well enough that the kitchen doesn't have a cluttered feeling {which would drive this gal just batty!}

You may remember what we sported above our buffet table previously, a photograph I had snapped at an apple orchard one year:


It was actually a super cheap art project, and wasn't all that awful in the space.  However, it lacked function and provided so much glare with the patio doors right there, that it wasn't the best place to display art.  So we picked up two lack shelves from Ikea, in a walnut finish to match our buffet.

IHeart these shelves oh so very much!  Why?  A.  They are cheap.  B.  They are easy to install.  C.  They are sleek and simple.

They changed the installation on these since the last time we had installed one, we have one in both our home office and our laundry room.  They now use a single rail with holes all across the way, making it easier to center on a wall and still snag studs! {which I was already good at, I obviously got one heck of a stud within my hubs...}



Then the shelves just slide on the rails and screw in from the bottom.


Super easy!  And then the fun part for me was accessorizing!  I have plans to use the shelves to hold some additional dinnerware, display pieces and wine glasses, but that will be updated later on.  For now, it holds all of my favorite things.  But first I knew that since I was removing art from the kitchen, I should find an easy and FREE way to introduce new art back in.

So I snagged an old 8 x 10 frame I had laying around....


And weird, I spray painted it!  Same color as my kitchen cabinets are painted.


And while I waited for the paint to dry, I found some cute scrapbook paper.


And went to the office to find a pear shaped clipart to print out.


Which I then printed on the backside of the scrapbook paper.


This gave me the perfect template to cutout and glue to another piece of scrap paper.


Which I stuck into my freshly painted frame.


And stuck up on the top floating shelf.  Adding to it a ceramic bird.  Two of my favs living together in harmony.  Pears and birds.... not sure where I find such odd fetishes, but hey, we all have them!


I also added a boat shaped serving dish lined with bright red apples {the non edible kind}.


And on the lower shelf I created a little section for our sparkling water and vino, along with my cork display.


And popped some extra color on the other side with a pear canister, some bright blooms and my new measuring cups!


To create quite a cute change to our dining area!



And a before and after side by side...



I am thinking some under cabinet lighting would be superb under the the shelves as well, along with adding some wine glass storage... more on that later hopefully!

OK, you know the drill.  It's your turn to spill any fun weekend projects you worked on.  Quick or two days worth, I would love to hear all about them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment