Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, December 2, 2010

Info Post
I recently decided I am obsessed.  With a lot of things but I have a new found obsession.  I also had another light bulb went off "Why didn't I think of that sooner?" moment!  And the combo of new found obsession and light bulb moment have combined happily to create this post....

First, I will start out by saying that I made yet another work space in the Jones casa.  Hence, the new obsession.  Some people are obsessed with purses, shoes, food, hording, or that hot guy in cubical 10-A.  I have decided I am obsessed with creating desks.  Not sure where it stems from or why, but it seems to be a trend I am finding within myself.

It all started when we decided to move our custom built desk into an unused nook off of our previous master bedroom.  LOVED that new space.  It was oodles of fun to create!


Then, as many of you know, we had a flood.  We lost a lot of the furniture and finishings in the lower level, including our desk {which swelled up worse than my ankles when I was preggers} and ultimately the whole new office.

So, we made ourselves a new one inside our guest room closet!


It's amazing the storage we were able to create in such a teeny tiny workspace.  And for a heavy duty super crafter, this closet desk is the ideal working place for me!

But we weren't done there.  We had actually gotten the idea to put our new office in a closet, because we were already in the process of doing the same for our oldest in his new bedroom.


So, one office area gone, two remaining.  Two incredibly perfect, tucked away work zones, for both studying and crafting and everything in-between.  These two closet offices have been working like well oiled machines.  Preston has been a study crazed superstar and I have been making labels and cards and all sorts of goodies in my work zone.  So why couldn't I just leave well enough alone?  Because apparently I am obsessed with desk spaces....

This is also where the "Why didn't I think of that sooner?" comes in.  Although my closet desk is great for all things crafty, when I am trying to have some nice and quiet mommy time, it's very removed from the heart of our home.  And when it would come time to use my precious space for my daily blogging and photo editing, it was just too easy for me to snag the laptop and head out to the kitchen or living room, where I had some background noise and company.

One day, I removed our charging station from a console table we had in our living room, to setup the laptop instead.  I plugged it in, and plopped a seat on the woven cubes tucked below.


The new quick makeshift desk worked incredibly well.  And so I did it again the next day.  And the next.  Until one day I realized that I was blogging in the living room all the time, while still using my tucked away closet desk for all things craft related.  It was quite honestly the best of every world!

So, I decided since I was going to be spending so much time at my new space, I was going to glam it up a bit.  But I had to do it for free.  Because it's Christmas time, and we have a basement to finish.  So no unnecessary spending allowed.

So I did it for free.  I snagged a can of primer and some white paint we had on hand from the trim we have been updating.  I gave the console table a quick coat of paint, tucked in a chair I snagged out of storage that we salvaged from the basement flood and borrowed some pretty knobs from our old guest room dresser drawers.  The end result was a perfect "Why didn't I think of that sooner" work station!


I just adore how it's the perfect size to keep just what I need to blog.  My laptop.  A notebook/planner.  A pen and some small desk accessories.


And really, I probably didn't need to paint it, but I just love how paint can freshen up any piece of furniture in a jif, and I have really become obsessed with not only desk spaces, but also white furniture.  So this was a match made in heaven for me!


One of the woven cubes was stashed with oodles of miscellaneous kid's toys, and the other is full of arts and craft supplies.  The toy bin was removed and the toys were placed in a donate bin {since they were used next to never} and the craft cube was just placed beside the desk, with a basket full of fantastic reading material on top!


The whole end result is quite fantastic I think.  Here is a quick before and after view:


The best part is it can be temporary or forever and is flexible for any future changes.  Plus, you always gotta heart when no investment in moola meets reinventing what you already have!

Who out there has some other quirky obsession?  Anyone slapping a quick coat of paint onto something to take it from drab to fab?  Am I the only one with twenty something workstations in one home? {OK, three really... but still!}


0 comments:

Post a Comment