Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, March 4, 2011

Info Post
My first attempt bringing in chalkboard/chalk was a success!  Although, it wasn't all that exciting, I just snagged up some pre-made chalkboard labels and wrote on them with chalk....


This time, I decided to tackle my next chalkboard project, DIY style!

Ever since I have been watching everyone whip up their own version of a chalkboard memo board, I knew I had to get in on the action!  It would be the perfect addition to our kitchen, a place to write reminders and love notes and for the kiddos to draw pictures!

I searched for awhile for the perfect picture frame to turn into a memo board.  It had to be long and narrow since it was going to be placed in an awkward location...

Then, while perusing through our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, I stumbled across a cabinet door, for $5!  And it was the PERFECT solution!


The edges were in great condition, they just needed a quick sanding to smooth them out a bit....


Then, I taped things off, and got to work painting the center with Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint .  I was surprised how easily and how smooth this paint went on!  And I risked using a cheapo brush because I wasn't sure how easy cleanup was either.  And even with an average brush, the streaking was minimal {you can't tell that from this picture, but it seriously dried with no streaks}!


I did two coats, just in case!


Then, I used a sample sized Behr Premium Plus in "Dragonfly", for the outer edges of the cabinet door.  {I forgot to photograph this part, but you guessed it, it's a tealish color!}.


Then, we just attached some large ring hangers to the back.... {we did use two screws... I was just making sure not to forget to photograph this part!}


And then popped it up onto the wall!


It fits perfectly in such an odd place in our kitchen!


And I just love how the chalk sits perfectly on the ledge!


But how does it work?

Fantastically!


Seriously, I have the world's worst phobia of chalk, it makes my hair stand and my teeth hurt, but other than that, the project itself it just wonderful!  I am so excited to check out liquid chalk and use this board for everything!  And it goes perfectly with my Project Teal challenge

The real pleasure is watching Parker enjoy it!


Too precious!


He drew me an elephant {in case you couldn't tell what it is}


Who else has been having fun with chalkboard paint?  I can't wait to use it again, this next time I am thinking the little boy's room.  My wheels are a spinning and because I have so much left over, I definitely have to use it somewhere!

What else have you been using chalkboard paint on?  Jar labels?  As art?  How about any good finds at your local Habitat ReStore?


Psssst!  Update!  Two days into this and I am not gonna lie... I am about to have a chalk breakdown... I don't know if my body can ward off the gross tingles much longer... but the kids are lovin' it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment