Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 14, 2011

Info Post
Earlier this week I popped in with an update on our laundry room changes, since we are revamping things a bit as we finish up our lower level.  And let me tell you, we are in the middle of the craziest busiest week in Jones family history {Peyton's 7th birthday was Monday, our 10 year anniversary is... TODAY, we are celebrating our anniversary and renewing our wedding vows this Saturday, need I say more?}  What do most do when hosting a giant celebration?  Well, get crunching on those projects of course, our house has to be party ready!

I thought I would take a moment to share the fun I am having with my laundry room though, because it's just got me feeling so giddy inside.  However, I am totally to the point of wishing the trim and doors would magically just be installed when I wake up tomorrow since I know they will completely make the room feel more polished.  And since the installer is actually also my husband, who will actually be working and not installing my trim, please cheer for the magic trim fairy to come to me.... please oh please....

End of tangent.

Monday I left you wish this real time photo of the laundry space... seriously, the paint was probably still wet in spots!


The hubs actually was pushing for a yellow laundry room.  100039 points to Bryan for suggesting a paint color, I think it was a first and I couldn't have been more proud.  Really.  But I decided to keep it neutral, which is totally weird for me.  However, I also agreed that yellow would be a fun accent color to start bringing in as we continue to chip away at the space.

But before I show you anything yellow, you just gotta see the shelving transformation that took place.  It's pretty sweet, if I don't say so myself.

We always had a single shelf above the washer and dryer, but I never really loved the fact that there seemed to be so much wall to fill above the shelf itself.  That's when the bright lights went off in the ol' noggin'.  I still had a second identical floating shelf from our old office space!  SCORE!



Are you cheating and looking at the goodies in the washer reflection??

Don't worry, I wasn't done yet.  You see, as much as I totally dig the clean lines of the shelves, they were definitely still missing something... and I knew JUST what those shelves needed!  Cheapo wooden corbels from Home Depot!


The corbels came in at $2.50 each and I picked up a total of 6, which means I spent a total of $15 smackaroos.  I used some leftover paint we had from our Billy Bookcase Built-In project, which we had color matched to the Billy shelves.  I figured, Ikea white is Ikea white, it should be close enough, and sure enough, the Billy Bookshelf White was also a super great match to the Ikea Lack Shelf White.  Catch all that?


The first coat sucked right into the wood.  So they were a two coat project.

Once the corbels were painted and ready to go, the hubs actually just removed the floating shelves and used the install bar as a guide to determine where to line up the corbels...


Because there were three "arms" to hold the floating shelf, we decided to place each of the three corbels right below.  And I will throw this out there, we were installing these corbels for aesthetics only, the shelves are actually fully supported by the original install.


Once all the corbels were screwed in, we just popped the shelf back into place:


And we were left with....



At this point, it was 11:30 on a Wednesday night, but I was so excited about the shelves, I just had to pop my belongings on them!!  {and then even stay up to write a blog post about it!}


All those great baskets on the top shelf are filled with my painting supplies {rollers, tape, brushes, putty, drop clothes, etc...}.


The second shelf has our detergent, a stain removal chart and other pretty things!

The "Laundry" drink tub I did awhile back, still contains my delicate clothing, and the green boxes still hold our little laundry essentials.


And to give you a peek at the rest of the space in it's current state:


The Expedit is housing boxes for our extra fabrics and pillow covers, overflow of surplus cleaning supplies, light-bulbs and other misc. laundry supplies.  We also moved our previous game cabinet into the space, it will ultimately function as our lower level linen closet {for those wondering about the cabinet, it originally came from Ikea and was pieced together from the Effectiv line}

And finally, there is that pop of yellow, special thanks to the pretty ironing board cover courtesy of HomeGoods {a score for just $10!} and the MacBeth Collection!


And that rounds out the current up to the minute tour!

So much fun to see the side by side of how it looked just a few days ago!


Totally coming along right?  And I still can't believe the difference the $15 corbel investment made.  Seriously, totally transformed the whole space.  Anyone else make a tiny investment that made a huge difference?  Any other midnight decorators out there?  Maybe we should start a late night decorating club...

0 comments:

Post a Comment