Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Info Post
As I mentioned yesterday, Parker and I had come down with the flu last week.  We were the last of the entire family to snag it, so you can imagine that by the time it got to us, we were already exhausted.  And we were quarantined for days so I couldn't wait to get out!  In fact, reading my post yesterday about the desk put some fire in me to do a quick IKEA run to price out add-ons and storage.

While I was out, I couldn't resist snapping some pics with my phone to share.  I saw lots of inspiring storage and organizing ideas.

Of course, you could tour the entire IKEA showroom and feel inspired room after room.  They piece all of their furniture together to create endless amounts of storage and smart space saving living.  It didn't dawn on me to take pictures of most of the items I saw, since I was with a child and we were in a bit of a hurry, but when he finally stopped for a minute, so did I.


I just love this little kid's playroom setup.  Like head over heals in love.  Love the bookcases with cabinet doors and the little crafting/play tables.  All of that storage and wall space just brings pure happiness to me.  We hung out here for a bit.  Then, it was time to move on.

I didn't come home with much, just a couple of cabinet doors and drawers for the new desk and some plastic toy storage bins for the playroom.  I tried to find some good under-mount lighting, but they were all corded so I didn't invest in anything quite yet.

On our way home from IKEA, we just happened to drive past a HomeGoods.  I told Parker I wanted to run in really really quick to look at a mirror.  I was a good mommy, I was pretty quick in there {it's usually a time pit for me and I can't get out without walking every inch and touching everything}.

I couldn't help but stop in the basket/storage aisle really quick, you know, for the sake of the blog.  Wink wink.

Many of you ask me frequently where I got these fantastic white lace baskets:


They were expensive little numbers {which have held up fantastically over the years so I am OK with that}, and from The Container Store.  They discontinued them awhile ago, so I know there have been a lot of sad faces because of that.  I was excited to see that HomeGoods provides a similar option.  Sure, their baskets are made of tin, but they offer a great "cutout" pattern and endless varieties of colors at a fraction of the white lace basket price!


Another basket I get asked a lot about are the green numbers in my laundry room:


Another discontinued basket, but HomeGoods had a similar FANTASTIC option!


Moral of the story.  Check HomeGoods for great, stylish storage.  I find a lot of the designer looks for less there.  It's always so lovely!

I really went in there for a mirror though.  I would love to add one in my studio since I am without natural light.  This one has been catching my eye for awhile now, but I just haven't brought myself to pull the trigger:


It reminds me a lot of one of my most favorite mirrors, Nicole from Making it Lovely pulled it off perfectly:


I try and have a one in, one out rule, and I have a mirror I could use, so if I want to replace it, I have to sell the other.

But it's still fun to look and find inspiration!  I also really loved this option from HomeGoods:


But I think I love Katie Bower's DIY version even better:


After HomeGoods, I had to pick up some groceries.  And since I had allowed myself to get sidetracked thus far, I stuck with it.  And I was at Target.  How do you not get sucked in at Target?  It's my happy place.

Because so many individuals are itching to get organized in January, Target really brought their storage game.  So many fun options to select from, above and beyond their typical fabulousness!

I started out in the budget dollar section.  Always try to find storage on a budget first right?  They had decorative paper trays, which would be great for keys, mail or a desk "in" box.


And lots and lots of receipt/coupon envelope options!


These tin bins have always been a favorite of mine!  They would be great for a Lego "build bucket", or girly girl things like hair supplies, or even corralling laundry essentials in a laundry room!


I also get questioned frequently on the source of the kid's blue quilts in their bedroom.  They were from Target long ago, and Target recently brought back an almost identical option at a great price!


They had some fun little bowl four-packs that I thought would make fun drawer dividers:


But what really left me drooling was the vibrant colors brought into their new storage bin line!

Check out the chevron options!



I also love that they had simple green baskets, but brought in some texture to keep them visually interesting!


I always check out their office supply section always.  They bring out a lot of fun designs and colors.  Like this fun Jonathan Adler-esque file box:


Or these super vibrant organizing bins, sorters and magazine files:


I did happen to get pulled into one tealy aisle that really caught my attention:


Lots and lots of loveliness!  And in my favorite color.  I was so proud of my ability to walk away empty handed.  This time anyway!

Those loving the zig-zag trend, love away!  They had pillows!!


And their new kitchen product line is full of more teal {along with a couple of other color options}, and I fell hard for the honeycomb cutout baskets!


By this point, I had to move along or else more storage would have hopped into my cart.  I was a good girl.  Groceries only this trip.  Not that it was easy... I think I am still twitching...

I know that we find a lot of inspiration these days from blogs, Pinterest and magazines, but I also love to look through store catalogs and even physically walk through stores.  Often times, they have the latest "trends" and offer up so many great combinations and color ideas, that will leave your mind spinning and inspired.  Even if that means re-creating your own versions at home DIY style on a budget!

Where do you go for inspiration?  Anyone else been spying lovely storage options out and about?


0 comments:

Post a Comment