Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, January 30, 2012

Info Post
So the desk.  It's not done.  Almost.  But there has been a little fabric snafu so I am delaying the reveal for another day or two.

But that doesn't mean I wasn't organizing something.

We recently moved our master bedroom back into the almost finished lower level, so we are slowly figuring out what is working and what isn't.  The other evening, my helpful hubs was putting away some linens he had just folded and started taking our towels to the laundry room linen cabinet.  We keep our puppy towels in there, but not ours.  This is why I keep organizing.  Something apparently wasn't connecting.  I know that if I need a towel before/after my shower, I am not going to happily hop across the chilly lower level to the laundry room.  Just leaving the spare stack on the top of the hamper wasn't such a great solution either.  So, I decided this was my moment to look at how we were using the entire space.

I noticed two things.

1.  The floating shelf we had installed seemed to have switched from a perfume shelf to a catch all for my daily toiletries, and was a bit of a cluttered mess:


 

2.  We weren't really being smart about how we were using our tall bathroom cabinet:




So, back to Target I went where I went straight for those stinkin' adorable plastic basket-weave bins I had spotted on my last shopping trip.

When I organize, I start by giving myself a blank slate.  I emptied the cabinet and the shelf and wiped them clean.


Then, I put the towels in first since I knew that is the main reason for the change.  Our spare set of towels will now live on the shelf.  And all those toiletries that once cluttered the back of the toilet, now live in one of the new baskets.



In fact, I thought "his" and "hers" baskets would be the most effective.  So we each got one...


The white basket on top is where we are keeping the overflow packaging of cotton swabs and cotton pads from our canisters that are on display.



Since I was now left with an empty floating shelf, I knew it was the perfect place to set out some bath salts.  Right within reach of the tub.


Not only is the bathroom space now being used in a more effective manner, it just feels better.  I love when a mini-update has such a big impact on the entire space.





Have I mentioned how much IHeart Organizing?

Total cost: 
Two teal baskets from Target: $12
Three acrylic canisters for bath salts: $12

Anyone else tackle a quick project this weekend that left them smiling every minute after?  What "A Ha" moment drove you to re-think a space?


0 comments:

Post a Comment