Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, June 22, 2012

Info Post
Today's project is one of those, "Ooooh, I have a great idea!" and "I am going to save so much money!" and "This will be SO easy!" projects.

In the end, I wasn't saying those things so ecstatically or loudly, but I was still really really happy with the end result.

First remember our guest bedroom?


We attempted to use an IKEA Lack side table and decided it wasn't right for the space.  After some additional thought, I changed my mind and decided to make it work {surprise surprise right?}


But something was totally missing.  Something to fill that giant gaping hole staring at you right when you enter the room.

I brainstormed a few options and landed on some sort of basket to hold a few cozy throws for our guests.  I really wanted another rope utility basket.  Have you seen them?  I love.

They offer of softness and texture and something about them just makes me smile.  In fact, I splurged on one during a flash sale last year for the playroom, and it's been really fantastic for the kids.  However, coming in typically between $70 and $100 {or between $40-$60 on sale}, they absolutely are not a guest bedroom budget friendly option.

So I decided to make one myself!


The idea was simple.  I had some extra rope from our DIY canvas bin handles, so it would only be a matter of purchasing some more and wrapping it around a dollar store basket.

So, off to the dollar store I went.  My particular store had a variety of baskets, but for the size I wanted, unfortunately for me they only carried a black option...


But that is what spray paint is for right?


I will save the step by step spray paint process, but basically it was a coat of primer and two coats of matte white, left to cure for two days.  I only worried about the inside since the outside would be covered by the magical rope.

I did a test run of wrapping the rope around the basket.  Based on how much I was able to get around the basket, I figured I would need about five packages of rope total.  I already had almost one full package left from my last project.  I bought six more just to be safe.  At $2.99 a pack, it was already becoming a bit more expensive than I was hoping....

In looking at the rope I made a last minute decision that I wanted to bring in some color.  That the creamy colored cotton rope would be a little bland in the room.  But I was already home from the craft store and ready to get started {and the craft store is over 30 minutes away}... so I needed to think about potential ways to turn the rope a new shade.  The only thing I could come up with was to mix a little bit of paint with water....


The trick to getting the color to stick to the rope was to actually squeeze the rope under the water so it would absorb it.  Then, it was a waiting game while it took a few days to sit out and dry...

I thought stripes/alternating color would be good, so I only colored half of my rope stash.

Once the rope was dry and the spray paint was cured, it finally came time to attach the rope to the basket.  This part was easy peasy but a bit time consuming.


Using a hot glue gun, we just ran the glue and pushed down the rope... we started under the basket lip to get a nice straight starting line.


Then we just kept on going, around and around and around.  Yes, we used the glue along every inch of the rope, just to be sure it would be nice and sturdy since the basket really wasn't {it was only a buck, you get what you pay for}.


It was stacking up oh so nicely!  We continued until the entire thing was covered....  And then added rope around the top as well to give it a nice finished look.


The inside isn't the most glamorous looking, it looks like a white basket with rope wrapped around it.  But once the blankets and throws are inside, it's all good!


I quickly popped it into it's new home.  I adore!



Making for an oh so pretty before and after story!


Total cost for supplies came in at around $20, since I used each package of the rope I purchased.  It also took about four days since I had so much hurry up and wait time for paint to dry.  In the end, not as quick and cheap as I thought it would be, but it was still far less than my inspiration basket and customized to fit my needs so I will check it off as a win!

It also inspired me to look at other basket wrapping options and check out less expensive finish alternatives such as jute and twine...

Anyone else been making over dollar store finds lately?  How about getting halfway through a project and realizing it wasn't going to be as inexpensive as you were hoping, but you loved the results anyway?


0 comments:

Post a Comment