Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 12, 2012

Info Post
It's been much more than a year already since I promised you all a map for the boys bedroom.  If you may recall, last year in MAY we had done a bunch of work on the boy's shared bedroom, and then whomp whomp.... I left you all hanging.  And what friend does that?!  So rude!

We actually did install a large map shortly after that and key that major WHOMP WHOMP sounds once again.... it wasn't good.


I mean, it wasn't thaaaaaat bad.  But I really didn't love it.  And since I think it is important to document my design successes and failures, here ya go!  I found a jumbo sized map on eBay for around $30 so I thought to be able to achieve a full size wall feature for around $50 total {$20 for the wood frame}, was a steal of a deal.  Once I got the map up, I realized that the inexpensive option left me desiring something more.  The colors were wrong and it just felt like I tried too hard and achieved a cheesy end result.  Yet that is the way it stayed for over a year. 

Then, a while back with special thanks to Pinterest,  I came across this awesome sign idea and tutorial done by the adorable Ashley over at The Handmade Home blog. 


I instantly knew it was the perfect solution for the map in the boys bedroom.

Since I can't very well draw, cut or create a map on my own, I snagged one up from Lulukuku decals back in February while I was hosting a giveaway.  Yes, I said February.... sigh.

Nothing like a good Pinterest challenge being hosted by some of my favorite bloggers, Sherry & Katie, to kick my rear in gear!

 
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that I picked up a 4 x 8 foot piece of birch wood from Home Depot on Saturday, and we asked oh so nicely for them to cut it down into planks for us.


We took the wood straight to a family member's workshop and got to staining the planks a pretty dark walnut color.


To stain them, we just plopped them down on some wooden boards being held by saw horses and I walked up and down each side using a foam brush to brush on the stain.

 
Bryan followed behind wiping the stain back off with a soft rag.


Two coats later and we were ready for install.

After removing the previous map, we decided it would be easiest to keep the already there white wooden frame.

Bryan had to give each board a quick cut on one end to ensure it would fit nice and snug into the frame, and attached the wood to the wall with an air nailer.



Halfway there!


The wood was SOOOOO pretty.  I could have kissed it {or did I!?}.  I loved that the room finally had the perfect natural element that it was lacking previously.

All done!


The next step was to install the giant vinyl map.  We started by piecing things together, re-learning some geography, and taping it up where we ultimately wanted it to land.


My gal, Emily, popped over to help install.  She was a vinyl transferring champ!



One continent at a time....


Until it was done!


It was looking good!  But the next step was to give the map a nice light blue ocean and leave the land the pretty earthy walnut.  After a good rub down on all the edges of the vinyl map.... I covered it all in a coat of gray blue paint {Behr's Light French Gray leftover from our laundry room walls} using a small roller.


I cried inside a little bit, painting over the pretty stain... And crossed my fingers BIG time that it wouldn't ruin the entire project....

This was also the point in the project that my sweet little five year old Parker came in and asked where his map went... and got upset with me for making it go away. 

So I quickly started picking away the vinyl pieces {it's best to do it while the paint is still wet}, to reveal the lovely wood again!


We had smiles once again!  Whew! 

Once it was all dry, it was done and gorgeous!


I love the colors.  I love the planks and the worldly natural feel.  I love the simple lines outlining the map.  I love the walnut color.  I. Love. It. All.  And have since been begging the boys to trade rooms with mommy....


The red wire airplane was actually in their room waaay back when, and finally had the perfect backdrop to be re-hung in front of!


Thank you to Ashley from the Handmade Home for inspiring a new idea to get me out of my map rut, and for Sherry & Katie for challenging me to get on it already!



The map combined with the upholstered headboards really gave the room a more finished and cozy feel!  Dreamy eh?

Anyone else make a design oops that turned out to be a winner in the end thanks to some new found inspiration?  What Pinterest inspired projects have you been whipping up?  Spill the stories!

0 comments:

Post a Comment