Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, October 5, 2012

Info Post
So I already know how this is going to go down.

I am going to show you all these super inspirational photos of Expedit bookcases.

And you are going to be all like, "Jen, didn't you juuuust say no more IKEA?"

And to that I will reply, "Yes, no more IKEA.  I haven't been to IKEA in a month and have no intentions on heading that way in the near future."

And you are now looking at me all confused and wondering where my bi-polar posts come in....

So I say, "Although I am not planning on purchasing another Expedit, there is something to be said about the ones we do already have.  We have three functioning sets of Expedit bookcases in our home.  One in our laundry room, a pair in my studio and a pair in the playroom.  All which we love for many various reasons, such as their versatility, their storage capacity, their durability and their clean lines."

Here they are now:


The point of this post isn't, "Hurry and go buy an Expedit".  For me, it is about loving the ones I already do have.  And hopefully helping you love the ones you have too.

It should be no surprise that styling doesn't come naturally to me.  I see things as functional first.  Yes, I love to paint and DIY and design, but the styling side of it all just isn't my strongest skill.  I use bookcases for storage purposes, so ensuring that they are also stylish and aesthetically pleasing comes second.  As it should right?  I have the hardest time adding items and accessories that have no function other than looking pretty.  Clutter makes me nervous.

But there are these moments.  Moments in which I look at other Expedits and forget they are one of the most common pieces of household furniture, and just drool and swoon.  How does one drool at an Expedit?  What am I doing wrong that I am not drooling when I see mine?  How can one take the Expedit to the next level?

I thought it would be fun to have some Expedit eye candy {for inspirational purposes only of course!}  Here are some Expedits I have found around blogland that I feel have been used in a great, stylish way.


{source}

{source}

{source}

{source}

{source}
{source}
{source}

{source}

{source}

{source}
{source}

{source}

{source}

{source}

So what is it about all the inspiration photos that make the multi-functional Expedit look so appealing in all those spaces?  How does the overall styling make an impact in the rooms?  Let's brainstorm:

  • Majority of the Expedits above have some sort of natural element, woven baskets are a big winner.
  • In some of the rooms, it's not at all about the Expedit, but how the entire room is styled around it.
  • Added height.  Many of the Expedits have additional height added to them through interesting and sculptural objects.
  • Lots of books.  And stacked both horizontally and vertically to offer a mixture of patterns and colors.
  • Randomness.  Some of my favorite Expedits look as though there was zero intention of styling or placement consideration.  
  • Many of my favs offer a mixture of both concealed and open storage.  A few woven baskets mixed with a stack of books or an over sized vase give an eclectic feeling.

What else caught your eye?  Any favorites found?  How about other styling tips for making the Expedit look more classic and less mass produced?  I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject!



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment