Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, September 27, 2010

Info Post
So I am back with how we are putting the finishing touches on our "Master Bedroom Switcharoo", in which we moved out the guest room to move in the master bedroom.  So far we have created a desk, added some curtains to conceal closet storage, added a fantastic water tray and organized our nightstands.

And since we are pinching every penny around this joint to save up for our lower level redo, all projects I have been doing to our former guest bedroom turned temporary master bedroom, have to either be free, or be utilized as part of the guest room when we move back downstairs, or have to be able to move with us back downstairs to our master.

With all we had already done, the space was really coming along and starting to feel like a comfortable place to take residence over the next year {or ten} until we get things finished up downstairs.  However, it was missing something.  Something every space needs to give it that pop.  To give it that finishing touch.  To pull it all together.  It was missing art.

So, knowing I had zero budget, I decided to steal from myself.  I knew I wanted to add a mirror and some reuse some already owned frames.

That's when I shopped my house and found exactly the right pieces.  I took a mirror from the living room:


And some cheapo poster art from our old guest bedroom:


So I had the mirror and some art, however, I also {as you can see above} have a wall color that has a slight tint to it, but is pretty stark and has very little noticeable color.  The cream frame would have just blended in.

That's why I painted it {the same gray blue from our old master bedroom and the same color I also used in our new closet space}


Now how to handle the art?  I had these two frames I had received as a gift laying around that I was just urging to use:

The only problem is that the opening is SO small, I really couldn't figure out what to put inside.  Until I spotted that art I stole from the ol' guest room!


However, it was WAY too big.  Super simple fix.  I knew that what I loved about the poster was the detailing within the flower, so I focused on that.  And I placed the two glass pieces of the frame over my favorite parts of the flower to trace around the glass.


Then I cut out the pieces of the flower and popped them into the frames!



The result made my heart beat oh so quickly with giddy!  I just hearted my new art!  But again, I didn't heart how it would look on those super stark walls!  Urg.

Which is when I again, whipped out the ol' paint can!

And then my dog decided to play with it as well! 


Three hours later of catching up on loads of DVR'd design shows and painting every little cutout on the frames, they were even more fantastic!

 
This was a perfect example to me of how you can take uber boring and stark walls {I am really focusing on renters when I say that}, and spice them up beautifully with pops of marvelous color!

Ready to see how they pulled everything together!?!


All I can say is "Ooh La La!"  IHeart Art!!  Especially FREE art!!

Alrighty, now it's time to hear what all you have been doing around your joint, to spruce things up on the walls?  What is your favorite piece of art and why?  How about incredibly cheap art projects that make massive room impacts?


0 comments:

Post a Comment