Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, September 17, 2010

Info Post
As we have been transitioning our master bedroom to our upstairs guest bedroom, I couldn't help but do something I had wanted to do when we were living in our previous space.... I guess the move just put a little fire into me to get 'er done!

Since we are going to start pinching every penny around this joint to save up for our lower level redo, all projects I am doing to our former guest bedroom turned temporary master bedroom, have to either be free, or be utilized as part of the guest room when we move back downstairs, or have to be able to move with us back downstairs to our master {someday...}

This fell into the free and movable categories....

The hubs and I are big water drinkers at night.  And we found ourselves running back to the kitchen a couple of times for refills.  Boo.  Once cozy in bed, doing some reading, who wants to get back out for more water?  Not I.  Time to solve that problem!

Enter this ugly tray.


The tray wasn't always "ugly"... I just decided that it is now, because it has stains, has takin' a kid beating and is a little blah for my liking!

So I used a spray primer on it:


And then gave it two coats of white paint:


Already WAY better!  IHeart paint!

But I wasn't done yet.  I wanted to try out some new Scotch Blue painters tape that I had recently snagged.  It is a new kind with "Edge Lock".  So, this was the perfect opportunity to bring in some stripes!

I started out by measuring and taping a line right down the center of the tray.  That way, my lines on the edges should be approximately the same size.


Then, I just used two small pieces of tape to measure my in-between lines:


And followed that method until the whole tray bottom was taped:


And then I painted!


And quickly removed the tape while the paint was still wet:


The lines were pretty perfect, I have to say!  I was really impressed with this tape!  I can't wait to use it for the rest of my trim painting!

I could have been done at this point, but decided to paint the tray edge as well:


Once I let the tray dry for two whole days, I threw a couple coats or clear spray for a little added protection...

Then I got to put it into it's new home!  That's my favorite part!


I tossed our drink carafe on a blue plate, just do make sure no damage is done to the tray....


Along with some glasses and some pretty florals.... the tray came together perfectly!


And added a little glam {and function} to the space!


Gotta heart a good before and after story!  Especially when I was able to use all items I had on hand {tray and paint from previous projects} to create a fun new bedroom piece for FREE! 


Watcha think?  Any other tray peeps out there?  Anyone else updating old things to new things, with the help of a little painting action?


0 comments:

Post a Comment