Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, September 27, 2012

Info Post
Do you know that Christmas is coming?  Yep, hate to break it to you, but it is right around the corner.  I am already seeing Christmas displays in some of my favorite stores.  And although I try to look away, I am a bit thankful for their eager holiday spirit, since I try to plan ahead and it's a great reminder to begin searching for gift ideas early.

Knowing Christmas is near, this post is perfect timing.  A special thank you to the organizing superstar, Cassie from Hi Sugarplum, she has reminded me why corralling all of those gift wrapping supplies in one convenient place is so smart and important.  I love what she has done, and her personal spin on a really great wrapping station.


Hello fellow lovers of all things organized! I'm thrilled to be back here, showing off my latest OCD episode organizing project! I love sharing on Jen's blog, and really appreciate those of you who stop by Hi Sugarplum!  I've organized our Pantry and Linen Closet, and created a Family Drop Zone, but when I stumbled on Container Store's big Elfa sale, I knew it was time to tame the wrapping paper beast!


Two years ago when I revealed my son's new room, I didn't quite show all the details....like the fact I was hoarding bins of wrapping paper and ribbon under his bed! He didn't really appreciate me using up that good stash space (you know boys and all that 'stuff' they bring home), or waking him up at midnight when I remembered I needed a gift wrapped for the next morning.


So after purging through the unnecessarily large collection, I hopped over to Container Store for their Door and Wall Rack System. I've learned the hard way to get more than you think you'll need, and just return the extras....so I picked up several large deep baskets and shallow baskets, along with a media rack and wall bar. I was going to screw the bar directly into the door, but decided I wanted the flexibility to move it (and to take it with me if we ever move!), so we used over-the-door hooks.


First step is to place all the paper in a deep basket, with the media rack helping to keep it upright. Once this is done, you'll be able to see how much door space remains for the rest of your supplies. My house is not large, so it's important I get the most out of every space.


I folded tissue paper over the rack to keep it smooth, and it also acts as a wall to hold in the really short rolls of paper. (Darn you Target Dollar Spot and your irresistible tiny rolls!)


The top rack holds the tall and oversized spools of ribbon, and the next two racks hold the standard sized rolls. Arranged by color, of course. I may have started hyperventilating at this point.


Gift bags, boxes and gift card holders fit snugly in another deep basket, placed just above the wrapping paper.


And package embellishments are clipped to the outside, so nothing gets lost or overlooked.


I wanted a type of command center at eye-level for the small and frequently used items, so I added a magnetic strip.


That created more storage space by utilizing every part of the door.


Magnetic containers (mine are Ikea) are perfect for corralling small gift tags,


and skinny ribbon and twine.


I created an Important Dates sheet {which you can download for free here} and clipped it to the strip as well. It's so convenient to see all the birthdays and anniversaries in a single glance. Even the scissors stick up there (and out of reach for tiny hands) with the help of a small magnet!


Another shallow basket sits below, with a bucket for hole punches, pens and tape, and containers for the other smaller items.


I didn't realize my obsession with cute gift cards and tags until I rounded them up from all my stashes. It's so much simpler to find the perfect tag with them all in one tidy spot.


The other boxes hold more ribbon remnants and metallic string. And obviously I didn't need labels...but I never pass up the opportunity! Plus, the gift wrapping station is more likely to stay organized if it's clear where everything belongs.


I'm so smitten with this new spot that I couldn't stop hugging it taking pictures!




I was partial to the silver shelving unit, but used a white over-the-door hook so it would blend in with the door. It's so small it's not even noticeable from the other side.


How many times do you think I've opened this door (with lots of flair and after a drumroll)?  Nope, more than that! Who knew a small hall closet door could be the love of my life such a usable space?! Bring on the Christmas season...I'm ready to wrap! And you're in luck too, because the Container Store 25% off shelving sale lasts another few weeks!


If you've made it through this post, and your heart is racing, then you and I are meant to be. Isn't sharing our irrational love of pretty, organized spaces grand?! My son is pretty happy, too...now he can stash who-knows-what under his bed again! Do you have a system for keeping gift wrap organized?


"Hi, I'm Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I'm not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!"





0 comments:

Post a Comment