Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, October 21, 2011

Info Post
Happy Friday Friends!  Or should I say, "Happy FREE Friday"?

Last week's reader spaces left me itching to get creative and problem solve something around my house for FREE.  And I also threw the challenge out there for all of you.  Totally FREE organizing!  Does it get any better than that?

The whole point is to get resourceful, find something you already have in your home, and put it to use organizing something.  The only rule is you can't go to the store to purchase a thing.  For me, I am lucky I am a bit of a basket hoarder because I was able to use one I already had on hand for my "can't leave the house organize with what I've got challenge".

So what did I end up doing?  Glad you asked.

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I do most of my shopping at least 20+ minutes from my town and  I also order some items online when I can find free shipping codes, since it saves me on the gas it would take to drive to my nearest home or department stores.  That said, when I get something home or receive something in the mail that doesn't look a thing like it did on the computer screen, then it has to go back.  Enter sad face here.

And since I only leave my house every great once in awhile, I get a pile.  A return pile.  And you know how I feel about piles.... My return pile would always end up on the floor of our coat closet.  Things would get scattered and receipts would go missing... so it was time for me to organize for FREE and come up with a super easy solution.

A basket.

Wow, I know, I should get an award for most creative organizer.  You can send it to Jennifer Jones, 728 Creative Avenue....



Now, I can just place all of the returns inside the basket, along with their receipt.  That way, any time I am leaving the house to head to the cities to do some shopping, I can just grab the basket and pop it in the car and return the items while I am out.  Easy peasy!


Right now I have a hood that doesn't fit my camera lens well, a curtain panel that wasn't a great material, some drawer pulls that were an eighth of an inch too long, etc...  I can't be the only one who has to return things all the time?

I also popped a reusable shopping bag in there so that I can always have something to tote the returns into the store with.

I used my favorite BHG website to downloand and print out a free label for my returns basket.  I also laminated the label and just popped it into the basket with some scrapbook brads.


That way my hubs and kids won't toss their random items in there...

UPDATE!  I am the first to admit when I don't execute right the first time.  I actually ditched the brad idea.  It worked great and pretty in the closet, but for toting back and forth to the table or car, not so much.  I decided to switch things up and use a piece of twine to attach the label instead, now it will be much more durable!



So there you have it.  My zero cost organizing project.  Pretty incredible eh?

Like I said, 728 Creative Avenue....

So now it's your turn.  I can't wait to see what you bring to the totally free organizing table!



And a button for you:


FREE Friday's totally rock!  What's your all time favorite free organizing project?  Anyone else have a way to organize their returns?

0 comments:

Post a Comment