Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Info Post
As I mentioned yesterday, I have been busy painting!  Again!

I took this....


And turned it into this...


I have been getting a lot of questions about how I paint furniture, so I thought I would make it a two part mini-series and post about my favorite paint supplies today {for all projects} and do a play by play and more before and afters of the entertainment center later this week.

I have been painting the walls and furniture in our home for the last 10 years, so I have definitely learned a lot of what I know over time, but I am sure I still don't know it all.  A lot of talented bloggers in blogworld have also provided me with "Ah Ha" moments and the tools I need to learn to be a better painter. Why do I paint so much?  It's a small investment for a big bang and it's easy once you get the hang of it.  It's amazing to me the power paint plays in a space and how quickly it can take a piece of furniture from trash to treasure.

The following items are in absolutely no particular order, don't need to be used for every single project and are just what I have personally fallen in love with over the years.  Here is what you will find in my paint supply bin:



1.  As I mentioned, these are in no order, and this first item is typically one you would use at the end of a furniture painting project.  To ensure your newly completed furniture lives a longer life, it's a good idea to give it a protective finish.  I like Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish since it's low odor, easy to apply and dries quickly.

2.  A paint tray {plus liners!} is essential for using your wall and foam rollers.

3.  Wood filler is great to have on hand when working on repairing an older piece of furniture, I like to use it if I am swapping out hardware or fixing a crack or dent.

4.  This spray paint grip and trigger helps give control for a smooth, professional spray paint finish.  It also prevents "spray paint finger".


5.  Spackle is a must for a wall painting project, so that you can fill any damaged areas and holes {a.k.a. swiss cheese walls} for a nice and smooth finish!

6.  Masks are a good idea when you don't have the luxury to work outdoors.  I also like to use them when spray painting and working with certain primers.

7.  Mineral spirits is great to keep on hand for cleaning brushes and equipment when using oil based items.

8.  This little clip is worth the $1 price tag.  It clips to the side of your paint can {or utility sink}, and gives you a strong magnetic place to set your paint brush if you need to take a quick break.  It's also great for holding them while drying after a good cleaning!

9.  A paint can opener typically comes with the purchase of paint and makes opening the can easy peasy.

10.  I love to keep plastic wrap on hand to wrap my roller heads and paint brushes in-between coats.  Instead of washing out my brush when I know I am going to be using it again in a few hours, the plastic wrap seals the brush from air and drying.

11.  I like to keep a tape measure in my bin for determining my paint project size {when figuring out how much paint I need to purchase}, or for measuring out some fun stripes to paint!

12.  Painters tape is great for protecting the areas you don't want painted!  I typically keep it on hand for doing special paint treatments and patterns.

13.  I don't use painters tape for trim any longer.  I know, gasp right?!  But I don't have to now that I found my most favorite paint brush EVER!  The angled Wooster brush has a super short comfort grip handle and nice silky bristles to make every paint project quick and simple!  The combo of the angle and short handle ensures your cutting in job goes quickly and ends up with a clean finish.  My favorite painting supply hands down!

14.  I like to keep a couple different grits of sanding wedges in my paint bucket, to give pieces a quick sanding for a smoother finish in-between coats.  I find the wedges are easier to work with than single sheets of sanding paper.

15.  Roller covers.  The type depends on the wall finish, it's important to get the smooth for flat walls and the semi-smooth for certain textured walls.  A good roller cover will give you better paint coverage and help reduce the overall number of coats you may have to do.

16.  A putty knife is helpful when using that wood filler and wall spackle to ensure a nice clean finish!

17.  I always like to keep an old rag or some paper towels on hand for quick cleanups if you accidentally drip or get paint on your fingers or down your brush.  Because no matter how hard you try, paint will find it's way all over you and your items!

18.  I always use a drop cloth when painting furniture and to keep under my paint tray and paint can while painting to protect the floors and other surfaces.

19.  Foam rollers are great to keep on hand for those smaller projects.  It gives you a nice smooth finish in furniture that you can't get from a brush.  I also like to use them on cabinets and doors.

20.  A hammer and nails for painting?  It's actually a fabulous combination for adding some holes into the rim of the paint can.  That way, when you pour your paint and a small amount puddles in the rim, it will find its way back into the bucket through those holes you just created and ensure your lid can get a nice seal when you are done!

21.  The paint brush comb is extremely worth the investment and is wonderful for cleaning your brushes after a project.  It has absolutely extended the life of each brush I have purchased, and as you may know, those brushes aren't cheap!

22.  When it comes to using a roller, I prefer a telescoping handle because I am a bit on the short side and it helps me get higher and lower in continuous motions.  Even for the hubs it's great because then he doesn't have to break out the step ladder to roll out a room and it saves us lots of up and down time!

23.  A caulking gun and white painters caulk is helpful when working with our white trim and molding to clean up holes and cracks and again is critical in giving us a nice professional looking finish.


Again, I am by no means a pro at this painting stuff, I just learn as I go and these are the items that have been working well for me along the way.  Any surprises or "light bulb" moments for you?  What is your favorite painting tool and why?  Did you know there is a painting season in Wisconsin {just like there is a football season?}  Well, it's in full swing and I am loving it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment