Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, October 8, 2010

Info Post
So on Monday, I shared a messy little secret we had going on here at the Jones' home.  It was nightmarish to this gal, and although I looked at it each and every day, it's something I completely put off tackling...

And now that I have it done, it's like, "What in the blankity blank were you SO scared of?"  It was incredibly easy to slim down and organize and living with the end results have been a little slice of heaven!  And to know how many minutes of our lives had been wasted digging through those drawers {and carefully non the less to ensure we didn't slice fingers!}

Well, I am saying goodbye to those risky digging days.  Because our drawers are now fab.  I look for reasons to go into them now, vs. running and hiding under my bed.

So when I left you last, I had just emptied out all the drawers and put all of my old and duplicated items into a box to donate.


This fortunate gal had a generous friend that had a couple rolls of wallpaper left over from one of her projects, that she gifted me, and I had been eagerly waiting to use it.  So I did!

I vacuumed out the drawers, wiped them clean and lined them with the wallpaper!


Showing a pretty before and after!


Not only does the wallpaper make the drawer uber fabulous looking, it will also remain easy to wipe clean and prevent bacteria from entering the wood.  And will just pull right back up someday if I change my mind on it {which I don't foresee happening!}

I decided that I needed to make a small investment in this project to maintain strong long term results.  And more importantly, I wanted to provide us with a much safer way to store our sharp belongings.

Again, thank you to Target for being my one stop place for all things.  Target had exactly what I was looking for, which was a drawer knife block {which ran me about $20} and some acrylic drawer organizers {which were under $15}


I decided to go with the knife block inside the drawer, because:  A} My knives are older and not the prettiest, and B} I don't have a lot of counter space and C} I feel like if they were out, the little ones would be more apt to grab at them, however, in a drawer, out of sight, out of mind!

I started with the top drawer, which used to look like this:


And popped in the knife block!

    

And then in went the knives!


We designated this whole drawer for all things "sharp" or for "cutting", so using the old drawer organizer I had been using to corral our knives previously, was now used for our peeler, pizza wheel and can opener.


Giving the drawer a final look of this!


And if you think that's good, this next drawer is my absolute favorite!

However, it wasn't always....


I just placed in the acrylic drawer organizers...


And filled them accordingly, based off of storage size and the utensils I had remaining.

I paired down all my measuring cups to just my most expensive pretty ones, since they were the only ones I ever found my self using anyway {I also have a measuring cup for more specific measurements when necessary}.  And I really used the mindset to keep things simple and paired down.  How many ways to measure do I really need?


Speaking of measuring, my measuring spoons {again paired down}, went into a smaller slot!


The smaller slots were also perfect for holding our citrus items, like juicer and peeler.


But the part that makes my giddiest about the whole drawer, is that my cake decorating accessories are all nicely stacked and corralled, vs. rolling all over the drawer!  They were everywhere before!


And the cake decorator itself tucks nicely in the back!


The rest of our longer utensils were tossed into the last organizer.


Giving the finished drawer look of....


Can I totally swoon over my own projects?  Because I do!

And last but not least, that baking disaster drawer got a little help as well!

It once looked like this crazy mess of making me never want to bake again:


More acrylic organizers were added to the left side, to hold the cookie cutters I saved {this worked for me only because I refuse to do much with cookie cutters.  I know, I am a bad mommy, but I definitely am not a baker and have ruined every cutout cookie I have ever tried to make... so realistically, I only saved my very highest quality ones, which I will use for Jello only, and the rest were tossed {rusty, ew} or given to the kid's to play with in their play kitchen}.


My mixer attachments went into another slot.


And one for the mixer {I just used a hairband to keep the cord in place!}


I tossed my rolling pin on the side and it was complete!


Our final drawer is one that was always organized, it just got some paper added to make it prettier!


And that's that!

Side by sides are my favorite part.  And these ones are definitely no exception!  I was feeling very accomplished after this quick and easy pair down organizing makeover!




Doesn't even look like the same drawers right?  Which is why IHeart this project so much!  And knowing that my knives won't become dull so quickly, and that we won't accidentally loose a limb by digging, is a great piece of mind that I have been needing!

And for your very observant folks, I know there are more pieces to this puzzle I haven't divulged on yet.  Like cooking utensils and potholders... guess you will have to wait for part 3!

What do you think?  How are all of you coming along on the basket challenge?  I had quite a few of you mention you were going to try it!  Who is beautifying the insides of their drawers? {that just doesn't sound right!} You all know why I am nuts like that though, I totally think that when something is pretty, it's much easier and more motivating to keep it organized!

0 comments:

Post a Comment