Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Info Post


Alright - yesterday we tackled shoes in the entryway, and I was able to pick out 11 pairs of shoes to let go.  However, that doesn't mean you have to stop there.  I did, because that's all I have in my itty bitty entry.  For those of you who have bins and baskets and closets... dig dig dig.  Mittens that don't have a match.  See ya later!  Duplicate pet supplies.  Gonzo.  The neighbor kid that won't go home... call his mom.  Time to PURGE!

I am moving on to my living room today.  At first, I thought this one would be tough.  We just cleared things out and re-organized when we worked on our recent "Built In Bookshelves" project.


Our living room is pretty simplified and full of things we heart.  However, there definitely are some excess living room items that didn't make the cut, and have been in storage either waiting to be brought to new life or sold.  Well, I am not waiting any longer.  This is the month to SHED {and no, I am not moving things to the shed, I am shedding my life of excess stuff}!

These days, living simply with the Less is More mentality is actually the "In" thing.  It's stylish and sleek to keep your spaces clear of clutter and easy on the eyes.  So let's get our living room's there today!

My Living Room Purging Tips:

Remember, if you haven't used it in the last 6 months to a year, you probably won't much in the future, if at all.  Is it worth the valuable real estate that the specific item is taking up in your home?  Here are some things to look at in the living room:
  • Media:
    • Music CD's - These day's, you can rip your music to your PC and let go of the actually CD version.  You will probably find that you listen to your fav's more.  
    • Movies - If you don't love it, let it go.  And the cool thing about movies is that there are a lot of movie "collectors" out there that want your old movies.  Try listing them on eBay or adding them to a friends garage sale.  You could also check with local libraries or hospitals to donate old movies.
    • Video Games.  Same thing.  Old video games can either be sold or donated.  There are also many gaming stores that will buy old video games from you!

  • Electronics.  Wowzers... Camera's and Camcorders, old Video Gaming Systems, TV's, VHS players {for those of you that don't know what that is, it came before the DVD players}, stereos {again, prior to MP3 players}, etc... Many local recycling companies may actually charge you for your old electronics, however, some actually will take them from you for free.  In fact, check with your local electronics stores such as Best Buy, who will either let you trade in your old electronics for gift cards or take them off of your hands for free.  You can also try to sell them via eBay or Craigslist, or use a site like Gazelle.com in which you can place in your specific electronic information and they will give you a quote to purchase it from you.
  • Magazines - I am a magazine hoarder.  Time to recycle.  And cancel and subscriptions that haven't been beneficial or looked at enough.
  • Pair down living room accessories by picking one or more items that were purchased on impulse and never really worked in the space. 

  • Books.  Books can always be donated to a local library or hospital or school.  Goodwill also accepts book donations.


Donate or Sell?

I really am a believer in trying to make some money back.  Whether you put it towards a savings plan, paying off debt, towards a vacation fun or to buy something to replace the old... it doesn't hurt to make the effort to gain a dollar before giving it away.  You can always donate it if you are unable to sell it.  However, you really have to look at each item and ask yourself if it's worth your time to sell, as listing items effectively can be a time consuming process, and sometimes it's just easier to bring it to your local free will donation store.  Either process of selling and donating are the greenest way to go.  They both offer a solution of moving items forward in their life cycle and keeping them out of landfills and trash cans.  These days so many things can also be recycled so always check your items for that option as well before tossing them into the trash pile.


So what did I come up with in the Living Room as part of the 30 items in 30 days purge?


1. Project Life Binder - since I replaced the one that came with the kit it with something in a simpler pattern.
2.  A Discman.  What's that?
3.  A digital camera that is no longer working since it was dropped in the mud last year.  Why is it still in my house?
4.  A Jacobean Area Rug that once lived in our living room... as seen here.


3.  Magazines - They need to be recycled asap!


4.  An old video camera.  One that uses mini VHS's to record.  Why when the new one came in, did this one not go out?


5.  Even though this blog is totally a NO JUDGING zone, feel free to laugh and judge.  I did.  Really?  A season of the OC?  Impulse and never bought another season.  The Sims though... I am totally making some moola off of those right?  Wait, no?  Oh poo.  How about old VHS Disney movies from when I was growing up that I haven't been able to say goodbye too or let go of.  We don't even have a VHS player any longer, but I still didn't want to part.  Perfect example of clinging to things for an emotional reason and it's really not doing anyone in this house any good to look at the pretty covers and not be able to watch them.  Time to say farewell!



6.  A set of Pottery Barn Vintage Inspired Skeleton keys.  I had gotten one set as a gift and purchased one... I loved them enough to think that I would use two sets.  Wrong.  Only one needed... one will have to go!


7.  I have three pillow covers that I know I will never use again in any space.  They are too color specific and no longer match any of our decor. 

The only thing making the cut to stay that I purged:


I actually have a pretty good stash of old frames.  I always keep them.  I have plans to collect as many as I can and create and awesome gallery in my hallway.  These babies are staying even though they look extremely awful in the moment.  That's the only thing that was saved by a thread.  I get to say goodbye to everything else... should I count each item individually?  If so:

1 Rug
1 Camera
1 Discman
1 Stack of Magazines
1 Skeleton Key Accessories
3 Pillow Covers
1 Project Life Album
1 Video Camera
9 Disney VHS Movies
9 Video Games
1 DVD Box Set

Let's see if my math is as bad as my spelling - 29 items PURGED!  It kind of makes me want to go and find one more thing to make it 30... we will see how that goes!

So my plans.  I am hoping to post this week on the selling process.  Other than the magazines and broken camera and Discman {which will be recycled}, I am going to try to sell everything in the pile.  I will share links with you so you can see me go through this and watch live as I sink or swim.

Now it's your turn!  What are your purging from your Entry/Living room this week?  What tips do you have for me as I begin to sell the Living Room purge?  Who feels the weight being lifted and the amazing feeling of letting go?  Am I the only one who used to have a crush on Seth from the OC?  Seriously.  Hot.




I decided a little challenge would be fun! This month we are spending the next thirty days saying goodbye to thirty things!  Wanna Join in?  Take photos and blog about your awesomeness as you go!  I am hoping to do a giant, "We did it!" celebratory post where we can all link up our purging success stories at the end of the month!

0 comments:

Post a Comment