Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, August 26, 2011

Info Post
YAY!  Two projects done in one week.  I am on FIRE!

So far, I have shared with you my future studio and my first project which included organizing my desk space.  I also included some inspiration I found on Pinterest:



Can you guess from the title which one of these projects I can check off of my list?

{source}

I was so excited to fix this little problem....


So I started scouring our home, eBay, thrift stores and home depot for different decorative knobs to use... I figured I would splurge on one Anthropologie knob just for that over the top awesomeness!



Which is just what I did.  I actually found an Anthropologie knob on eBay and one at a thrift store of all places {who would ever get rid of one and why?!}, lucky me!  I then purchased this one directly from the store.

We started by measuring our wall area and cutting the piece of new rail to size.  We used a 4 1/2" piece of primed mdf board.


I just picked a height based off of what felt right.  No measuring needed.

But we couldn't attach it to the wall just yet.  We needed to have a plan on how to lay out the knobs and how to affix them so they would be nice and strong for holding all sorts of totes, sweaters and camera bags.

Two of our knobs had the typically knob screw hardware and the three Anthro knobs were much longer screw backs... hmmm....

So, we took the length of the board, divided it by six to determine our spacing of the five knobs evenly across, marked it with pencil and pre-drilled all of the holes.



Then, for the two with the typical screw hardware, we just countersunk the back so it was all flush and affixed the knob.


For the other ones, we first attached the piece of wood to the wall with an air nailer, nailing right into all of the studs across the entire length.


Then, pre-drilling again, this time right into the walls behind the board.

Now we could just screw the Anthro knobs right through the board and into the wall!


Once all was up and secure, we puttied the air nail holes with white caulk and wiped it down with a magic eraser.


I love the visual interest the new rail adds to the space, with all of the different knob types!!




And a view straight on:


But the real question.  Does it work?!  Is it strong?


I gave all the knobs a really good tug and everything felt secure enough that I almost hung on them with my own weight.  Although I didn't think that would be too smart... but I do think it could hold me if I tried... I think.

And messy everything on the floor problem solved!!  Can I get a WAHOO?!


Now that I have this awesome knob hook rail thing, I need some really awesome art for above it... onto the next project!!

So what do you think?  Anyone else itching to do the same thing?  How about something else you found on Pinterest lately?  Who is tackling a Pinterest inspired project this weekend?


0 comments:

Post a Comment