Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, November 4, 2011

Info Post
Happy Friday!  What a week it's been at the Jones' house.  From returning from vacation to Halloween and sick kidlets, it's been a doozy. 

I thought it would be fun to pop in with a quick playroom update since many of you have been itching to see and inquiring on the progress.  Many of you may have even noticed some of the updates from last week when I was revealing Lego projects like the build table and the Lego storage system.   I would say we are about 50% done with the space so a good progress update is totally warranted.

When I last left you, it looked like this:


We have been busy turning this into a place for play.  Studio was put on hold.  Dressing room put on hold.  Master bedroom, you guessed it, on hold.  I know, I have been all over the place, but we do projects as we can and as we have time.  And now that it's getting chilly around here the kids are inside much more and needing a happy place to play.  Mom needs a place too, since she has been tripping on toys throughout the entire home and had realized that it's hard on the kids when they don't have dedicated storage and never seem to know where to set up a giant train track or build a Lego mansion.

We have had the white chairs for years.  They are slip-covered and I toss them in the wash every couple of months with a few drops of bleach and they still look great.  I recently found some sweet chevron pillow covers on Etsy to add a pretty dash of yellow!


Although the lamp looks like glass {no way, not in this playroom}, it's actually made from a plastic acrylic and we have had it for years.  I figured this was the best space for it since it seems like the safest option.  The lampshade was a Target find.


The table is an old Ikea table that was black and got a fresh coat of spray paint.

Legos are the main function of this space so that really needed to be addressed.


So I recently shared how we got those under control:


The shelves above were from Ikea {in white, not shown on the website} and are the perfect place for future Lego creations or decorative children's art {boys subway art here and tricycle print here}.



The play table was my $15 score from the Habitat Restore, refreshed with some pretty paint!





I just popped some cheapo toy storage bins underneath for all the kid's larger Duplo block collection.

The new playroom had no carpet since we installed the new hard floors, so creating a softer, warmer place to play was a mission.  Lack of inexpensive rug options brought me back to Ikea, where I found a huge rug 6 x 8 for $60.  It was perfect for us since it is flat woven, and the toy drawers can easily roll on it and Legos won't get lost in the fibers.  The only not perfect part is that it only came in white, but I have big plans to change that to make it much longer lasting for a playroom... Enter evil laugh here...

When it came to our entertainment center...


Although I can't wait to get it painted, it's pretty much the same for now, housing lots and lots of board games and some of the kids media.  I just swapped out some of the hardware for some knobs I found on clearance from Anthro awhile back.



I am smiling because now it's pretty functional and packing almost all the storage we need.  I still need to find a solution for the train tracks as right now they are in a giant Rubbermaid bin, and organize under the TV a bit to store puzzles and smaller toys, but wow, it feels great for them to have a place to create and play and build.

Oh, and those blank slate walls are begging for artwork and something magical to take place... I have been scouring Pinterest for inspiration of course and have a couple of ideas swirling.  I feel like it needs to be grand and whimsical... only time will tell how it all pulls together!

I will be sure to get our home source list updated with these pics and links this weekend.

Anyone else working on a playroom at the moment?  They are my most favorite places to create.  I feel like there are no restrictions on patterns and colors and I can just go wild!


0 comments:

Post a Comment