Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Info Post
Ever wonder what in the world to do with all those DVD's?  All of those cases can easily take over any room they live in.  Talk about massive storage hogs!

Today's reader took back boatloads of space in her home by thinking creatively about her media storage.

Ashlie wrote:

Hi Jen!

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful ideas.  Every time I see you have posted something new, I get a little giddy inside.  I love that your blog is so bright and fun!

Well, I am a designer but finished a little project that I feel would be perfect in your Reader Space edition.  Let me know what you think, you can find the post here:

Thank you!
Ashlie


I did think that Ashlie's project was fantastic!  It really shows us a new way to condense down the amount of space that media can gobble up!

Ashlie blogged:

"My biggest issue with this space was the quantity of DVDs we have occupying my book shelves.  It was such a waste of good space.  I researched a little and eventually found the perfect solution!


I found these amazing DVD slips at Target.  I had looked all over the internet, so I was really surprised when I found the answer at my neighborhood Target store.  Please be aware that for some reason I couldn't find them at the Super Target.  They only had them at the regular Target stores.  Weird...

Each pocket has an insert that holds two DVDs nice and tight.  It's amazing how many movies have two discs that come with them.  Does anyone ever watch the second disk of special features?  I don't.


I took out the DVD label and folded them.  I slipped them in the primary pocket of the sleeve.  Then the DVDs were put nicely into the inner sleeve.  To save some space, I would also combine the same types of DVDs that only had one disc.  For example, Austin Powers 1 and 2 went into the same sleeve.  It helped save space since I did have 150 DVDs!!


Here it is all nice and neatly put together.


To make them pretty, I found this basket with a lid at Home Goods.  I love it when organization and design come together!


OK, I know I could get creative with labels, etc. but I am a designer and not a cute label whiz.  I actually like the simplicity of the labels.  Want to know a little trick?  I used envelopes to make the dividers.  I just placed my label in the corner and stood the envelope up vertically.  I think it worked out nicely.


I created a separate section for the little one.  I didn't want to have to look thru the entire box to remember what DVDs we specifically have for her so I thought her own little section would be appropriate for those times when watching Monster's Inc. for the 2,000th time is a matter of life and death!

I came up with a good system to easily put the DVD back when we are done.  I flip up the DVD right behind the one I took out so I know exactly where it needs to go.


Can you believe there are 150 DVDs in this tiny little box?  Me either!  It is nice because we don't have to walk to the office to get a movie, they are now in our TV room."



150 movies in that basket?!  Shut the front door!  I am LOOOVE with her idea and how she was so resourceful creating labels from envelopes.  Smart smart gal!  And now her DVD's live in harmony with her beautiful room, because she disguised them in a beautiful basket.  That always makes my heart smile!

Don't you just get giddy with delight seeing this project?  How do you store your media collections?





ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!  More info HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment