Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, February 17, 2012

Info Post
Just before Christmas, we got to a point where we could move our master bedroom back to the lower level {for those new to the blog, we had a flood over a year ago and did a renovation after}.

So, when I last updated, it was looking like this:


Pretty blank slate.

My dream bedding went on sale...


And I begged and pleaded with the hubs to let me have a chandelier instead of a ceiling fan.  It was days and days of me being annoying until he couldn't take it anymore...


I instantly fell in love with the color of the grellow bedding against the wall color {Behr's Frozen Pond}.  It was a match made in bedroom heaven. 

But what to do with that giant wall behind the bed?  It spoke to me.  It told me that I should add some decorative moulding.  So I listened.

However, our bedroom is a bit obnoxious {for lack of a better word}.  It has a ledge wall on the left side, and a supporting beam to the right.  So we couldn't just do even rectangle panels.  We had to get a bit fancy.  I did a quick mock-up before we got started, so we were both on the same page:


As I have mentioned before, we project a lot at night when the kiddos are in bed.  How lucky are we that they can sleep through compressors and air nailers?

We picked up 10 pieces of 8ft x 1 1/8 x 7/16 in polymer cap moulding from Home Depot.

We drew out a plan on a piece of paper and wrote down all of the measurements.  We centered the bed.  Then measured out from there.  One large panel, two smaller on each side to frame the night stands.

Bryan cut down all of the 90 degree corners based on our measurements.

Then, used a level and actually drew pencil lines right on the wall, so he knew right where he would be nailing in the moulding.


He also used the level while nailing the moulding.  Just to make sure it was all nice and straight.


Over halfway done!  I was loving it!!!


Through the special powers of the internet, we got it all done, just like that!  {Oh, my husband wishes that was true!}


Once all of the moulding was in place, we just used some white painters caulk to fill in all of the nail holes, just like we did when we painted the trim in our upper level.  Because this trim was a polymer finish, we didn't need to paint a thing.  The caulk was the finishing touch.

So we moved back all of our belongings, I stole the sunburst mirror from our living room, we hung it and went to sleep feeling like we were just upgraded at a fancy pants hotel.

Waking up to this...





Because we didn't use one piece of moulding, the total cost for the trim was only $27.  Yep, a 27 dollar wall treatment that makes all the difference in the space.  Love.




Is this a happy before and after story?



I like shots that show progression.  They make me giddy!


It's getting there!  Still things to do, like add an area rug, dress up the bedding a bit more, add window treatments and address the completely empty wall on the opposite end of the bed, but this was HUGE progress for the space.  Progress that I am loving!

Who else loves the power of some pretty moulding?  Anyone been DIYing some fabulously inexpensive wall treatments?  Share your stories and links please!

0 comments:

Post a Comment