Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Info Post
Kitchen counter clutter?  If you take a closer look at it, what do you see?  Papers?  Stacks and stacks of papers?

It seems to be a epidemic sweeping across America.



Sometimes, however, the solution can be super simple and stylish.

Kate wrote:

Hi Jen,
I love your blog and read it all the time.  I'm always amazed at how much you get done and how quickly you get things done with three little boys, I have two little boys and feel like some days I am lucky to get food on the table and diapers changed. 
Anyway, I have a simple organizing idea for handling paper clutter in my home.  I've gotten great great feedback about it and wondering if you'd like to feature it. 
Thanks for your consideration!

Let's take a peek at the paper clutter that she started with:


"My oldest started school this year and I can not belieeeeve the amount of paper that is sent home with him.  Seriously, it is reedonkulous!  

All the paper he brings home needs some kind of organization.  Some of it is completed work or art that I put in a special bin in his room for keeps or on the fridge, some of it is information for me of special dates and events, some of it is homework he has to complete and take back, some of it goes straight in the garbage.
 
He brings me all this paper every day and I just start making piles, then mail starts coming in and I pitch what I can up front but the rest goes on top of the pile.   The pile keeps growing with whatever other paper stragglers make it into the kitchen and by the end of the week I have a HAAAAUUUUGE mess! 

The mess drives me nuts!  It drives the hubs, Mr. I-don't-like-anything-on-the-kitchen-counter-ever!, even nutser.  {Yes, I just made up the word nutser, but it's true} 
Although I have an office I tend to do all paper work in the kitchen.  This is where I spend 90% of my time,   I can keep an eye on the boys and get something done plus, I am too lazy to walk up the stairs.  My office/mom cave is still a work in progress so it's not a very good place to hang out right now anyway.

I decided I needed some type of filing system in the kitchen.  I have seen people with filing systems in their kitchen all over
blogland so this is not an amazing new idea.  I just tweaked it a bit to work for me. 

First, instead of a typical file box I got this super-cute lined basket at
TJ Maxx for only $7.99!  


I then found some files {TJMaxx too, I'm tellin' ya, they should pay me for all the free publicity I give 'em!}  that match perfect for $2.99 {even the plain ones cost that much!}. 


I labeled everything with skinny post-it notes that fit across the labels tab of the file folder so I will be able to re-use the files easily.  I now have a file for all appropriate school papers, household stuff, plus my decorating business with room to spare!  


And, it even looks pretty!!

When we have company or I want less on the counters {or the hub wants less on the counters} I can just take the whole basket and move it to my office revealing a clean counter... everything stays organized and in it's place. 


Why didn't I ever think of this before?!  I guess it just took getting huge amounts of paper from little guy everyday and finding a cute basket and files {I don't care how much it helped me, I wouldn't put an ugly file box on my counter every day if you paid me}."

Oh, I completely agree!  I wouldn't either Kate!

  •  It's such a simple solution to paper piles!
  • It can be kept out and still looks great.  I love when organizing mixes with style!  It will motivate Kate to keep those counters looking fab!
  • Most wouldn't think to use a basket to hold paper/files.  It's simply genius.  
  • The labels are interchangeable so the system can change and grow with her.
  • She realized that she wasn't using her office space, so she implemented her system where it makes the most sense.  It's OK to move your systems around to where they will actually be used {even if that means moving your office to the kitchen}.  If your system is out of sight or too much work to manage, then it won't be used and it will fail.
  • She didn't want to settle for a typical filing system, since so many can be so unattractive.  She found an inexpensive to give her system function and style.  

So what do you think?  Who else can use a system like this for your counter clutter?  What other ways are you tackling those paper piles, in an easy to maintain and effective way?



ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!  More info HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment