Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, February 24, 2012

Info Post
About two years ago, we found a great drum pendant on eBay and gave it a little face lift with some vinyl decals...



As you can see, the pendant is fab, and what I really loved is that it had three bulbs vs. one.

Now, one of my deep dark secrets.  In my studio space, I have been living with a light like this....


It was a boob light.  I took the cover off since I zero natural light in that space.  Anything I could do to maximize my lighting situation.  But it wasn't all that pretty.... and I was sick of it!

UPDATE!  It seems as though not everyone has heard of a boob light.  I feel it is my duty to educate.  This, my friends, is a boob light.  I will let the picture be enough of an explanation:


So, I talked the hubs into switching it out with our kitchen drum pendant {since it has three bulbs which meant a little extra light for me}, and updating the light fixture in the kitchen to a chandelier with five bulbs, which meant extra light in the kitchen.  Win win!

The decals weren't going to mesh with my vision for the studio, so I sat and watched four DVR'd designed shows and picked away each and every decal petal...


So, I was left with a blank slate white drum pendant again...


The plan was to follow one of the bajillion tutorials on the www to recover the shade with a pretty green fabric {this one specifically}

I started by very carefully removing the white trim at the top and bottom.  I wanted the fabric to cover smoothly.


Then we measured the drum shade...


And measured the fabric, leaving a one inch margin on each side and using a piece of trim to draw straight lines with a pencil.


As far as knowing the length of fabric that we would need, we just used the ribbon trim that we had removed, as a guide.

The next step was to iron over a nice edge...


And use a small amount of hot glue to affix it right at the seem of the drum pendant.


The next step was easier than I thought it would be.  A little spray adhesive, roll, smooth, more spray adhesive, roll some more, smooth it out and keep going...


Once I got all the way around, I ironed over a nice edge again and hot glued it down.

Now with the one inch extra on each side of the drum pendant, I just pressed it down over the lip of the pendant frame.  It still had spray adhesive, so it stuck down nicely.

I used an exacto knife to very carefully slice my fabric right under the lip of the frame.  I stress very carefully so that I didn't puncture through the shade itself.


Once the excess fabric was cut out, I used some hot glue to make sure it was secure.  Leaving a nice and clean edge inside.




It looked GREAT, but after looking at it for awhile, I thought I should probably hot glue that white trim I pulled off, back on.


Yes, much better!

I know I am a broken record when I say, "forgive me for the lighting in these photos", but now I am attempting to take pictures of a pretty drum pendant in a dungeon of zero light....




I love it!  Here is a look at it from below, nice and finished!


It gives off much more light than than the two bulb boob light, even with the diffuser... super fab for me!

The lack of natural light in my workspace has been a little bit of an issue for me.  Talk about depressing.  I love light.  Outside light.  So I got my Mr. on board with taking out another wall in the lower level {in-between the under-stairs storage area and playroom}.  It won't 100% solve the problem, but it will give a more open layout to the lower level {like a giant circle around the stairs}, and it will hopefully let the natural light coming in through the one playroom window, to circulate the entire lower level better.  I can't wait.  That actually didn't express my excitement well.  I CAN'T WAIT to get started on that!

I have also been evaluating the use of space. I decided my choice to install a rail of knobs and book ledges may not have been as genius as I originally thought. I adore it all, but it really restricts me in using that area of the room at effectively. Especially since I am dreaming of creating a craft space that I can spread out and work at... and that corner is the perfect spot to build!

Wanna see a glimpse of my vision?

{found on my pinterest boards here}

The paint for the dresser has been purchased, as well as the knobs!  The corner desk planning is in the works and I finally have a defined color scheme.  Something I should have done long ago.  So exciting!

So there you have it.  An easy pendant update and a plan! 

Anyone else make over a pendant or lamp shade recently? Or build in a corner desk? Or tear down a wall? I would heart to hear your stories!


0 comments:

Post a Comment