Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, February 6, 2012

Info Post
It seems like specific question types come in waves.  And recently, that wave has brought in a lot the question of good organizing and decor reads.  "What inspires me?  What are my favorite books?"

Something about a good book.  Nothing compares.  And one of my most favorite things to do is to find a book full of colorful pictures and inspiration and pair it with a blanket, a cup of coffee and cozy sofa for an afternoon.  And I am more like a kid when it comes to books.  I don't read the 325 page dramas, I like pictures!  Lots and lots of pictures.  I am so visual, that books and magazines filled with eye candy, give me the ability to feel motivated, creative and inspired.

That said, I also like books and magazines that are driven towards every day people.  Sure, fancy pants magazines give us ideas and then we can do our best to recreate those high end looks on a budget.  And I do even pick up a few of those fancy pants reads every once in awhile just for that purpose.  But for the most part, I stick with ideas and looks that are more obtainable and look like they could be in a home just down the street.



First and foremost, my absolute favorite magazine in the history of magazines is Better Homes and Gardens Storage Magazine.


This is only a quarterly publication {boo}, and it can not be subscribed to that I know of.  But when it comes out, I am quick to nab it up and start oohing and ahhing over the pages, which are filled to the brim with organizing ideas.  The best part is, it's always done with STYLE!  The best part is that these special interest publications are not bogged down with ads.
 

Another quarterly Better Homes and Gardens special interest publication worth looking at is Better Homes and Gardens Do It Yourself. 



I love it because so many of the projects are easy enough for anyone to do and many of them incorporate DIY storage, whether it's covering a soup can or installing some shelving!


Real Simple Magazine is another great organizing source. 



Not every issue is packed with endless storage details, since they offer a wide range of advice on everything from clothing to good food to product reviews, but they do share great tips on finding new uses for old things and  never leave you disappointed with their room and project photography.  And because this is a monthly publication, it can be subscribed to.


I was given the gift of a subscription to House Beautiful for Christmas and I have to say, it hasn't disappointed!



This is about as "fancy pants" magazine as I get.  I just love using it for inspiration on current color combinations and dreamy spaces that are so well accessorized and finished.  A great place to draw inspiration from when looking to create a high end look on a budget.


Recently, I have seen a couple of "magazines" that seem more like books to me.  They are located in the magazine section or even at checkout of department stores and run a higher price tag, but are also much higher quality and again, limited with advertising.

The first is Storage Solutions. 


Because this is a double issue, it is loaded to the brim with ideas and storage solutions for every space in your home.  Great photography and practical projects that anyone can implement, this one gets a thumbs up from me.


Oh Martha.  She has skills in every area {and people that work for her also have those skills}.  And I am OK with the fact that I can't bake or sew or even craft nearly as well as her, but I can't help but be in awe of her fabulous organizing abilities.


She recently released this magazine/book and it's my new favorite.  Once again, making organizing not only practical, but going that extra step to make it lovely.  For example, that cabinet on the cover, what's the first thing you notice?  The pretty blue backdrop.  Sigh.





Coincidentally, the books that I am drawn to are offspring's of the magazines I read. 

My all time favorite is Real Simple for the Organized Home.



I spilled a detail review here, but basically it's full of endless easy tips, lovely full page pictures and it's broken down by room which is extremely helpful.  It shares with us the essential items for each space, which I found really useful to be sure I am not adding more than I need, or maybe where I am lacking in effectiveness as well.


I recently discovered Better Homes and Gardens Storage with Style Book.  It may just have entered in to first place since it's basically their Storage Magazine wrapped into one fabulous book!


And the point, it's all done with style.  I can't say it enough.  If you LOVE your organizing system, you will be happier to maintain it.  Not to mention, it's great when you can incorporate being organized with your home and decor, it all goes hand in hand in creating a place that makes you happy day after day, and who is happy in clutter?

 
When it comes to the style and decorating side of things, Better Homes and Gardens wins with me again, with their annual Decorating Book.



Page after page of pictures.  Hundreds and hundreds of pages of pictures.  It's like years of their fabulous magazines in one happy place.  Doesn't get much better than that.


I struggle with paint colors.  It's true.  I typically have an idea of what color I want, but I have a hard time picking the right tone and shade.  I don't want my neutrals to be too yellow, my gray blues to be too blue, etc...  That's where this book comes in:


House Beautiful Colors For Your Home.  This is a great resource to help you pick the perfect paint color and also shares really incredible paint color combos.  And because it's from House Beautiful, you know it's a book you can rely on to be spot on!


Back to organizing.  Martha has a book on the subject!


Also organized by room/space, Martha has a way of showing lovely lived in rooms with endless amounts of tips and tricks to achieve the same feeling.  Simple labels, checklists and how to's, you will leave you feeling inspired and most likely motivate you to go and tackle a space before you get to the end of the book.


Of course there are a lot more out there.  Just search Amazon for organizing books and your search results will most likely leave you feeling overwhelmed.

I am sure some of you are more, step by step, do this then to then do this types of people.  Some of these publications are better than others about that.  I am more of a give me a picture and I got it kind of person.  That's why these are my all time favorites.

Now it's your turn!  What books and magazines am I missing out on?  Ones with great room photography, easy how to's, simple DIY ideas, etc..  Let's share!


0 comments:

Post a Comment