Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, May 11, 2012

Info Post

Wahoo!  We checked another task of the playroom checklist!  It's getting closer and closer to being called donzo!  Well, as done as any room ever is... knowing me it will get it's share of little tweaks here and there, but the wish list for the room is slowly diminishing.

This week we tackled the book storage project. 

When it came to storing books in our playroom, I just had a few simple requirements... The books had to be easy to reach, easy to put away and in a safe location.

Awhile back I found a few unfinished wooden crates from JoAnn.  Since the hubs and I each had a coupon, we each scored one for just over $7 each.


We planned on using them on the floor of the pantry... but as I was trying to dream up some DIY book storage for the playroom... I kept finding myself coming back to the crate.

I had painted each crate white...


To create book storage for the playroom, all we would have to do is cut the crate right down the middle.  To do this, the hubs just used a table saw:


He cut the two handled sides first, then went right down the middle of the bottom second.


And we instantly had two pieces.  We could have used painters tape to ensure the wood wouldn't fray, but we didn't have any issues at all. 

Then, my Mr. just installed some simple wall hanging brackets to the edges of the crate.



I really really wanted to use the empty wall space next to the window, but I knew that would mean kids standing on the bench and pulling on the new book shelves.  So instead, I decided to balance out the entertainment center and put them right on the wall at kid level.



Because the bottom of the crates had slats, I just improvised and cut an extra school folder we had, to fit the bottom of the crate.


Anything could have worked, poster board, a placemat... whatever is clever!


We used drywall anchors to attached the shelves to ensure they are nice and strong and safe!



Super inexpensive and super sweet!

Still a few more items to finish up before I can call this room update complete:

  • Paint entertainment center
  • Update light fixture
  • Window treatment
  • Additional seating
  • Additional toy storage
  • A fun wall treatment
  • Photographs/Artwork 
  • Book storage 
  • Basket Labels

I have absolutely zero ideas for artwork and how to best fill that giant wall of trees on the opposite side of the room.... So time to start scouring the www for inspiration.  I have a feeling that the wall art is the piece of the playroom puzzle that will pull the whole room together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment