Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Info Post
Oh yeah!  Last year I was really Spicin' Things Up in the Kitchen!  It was Hot Hot!  Nope, the hubs and I weren't getting all romantical, we were installing tin into our cabinet for our spices!  Get your heads out of the gutter!!



It worked.  But not INCREDIBLY well.  Like every great once in awhile those little spice boogers would decide to try and jump to their death.  Only to wind up slightly bruised and placed back into their home.  I think the little dents and marks give them character.  The hubs just got frustrated.  It didn't happen all that often, but we came to the conclusion that potentially the paper we used to cover the tin {in some areas it was doubled up cardstock}, was just too thick.  Plus, I am always trying to simplify and one way to do that is to create less clutter on the eyes, so although I adored the splash of color in the cabinet, I now am going for something a little more streamlined.

Magnetic paint has been making its way around blog land, so I thought this would be the perfect spot for me to dabble with the stuff.  I started off by removing the cabinet door and tin, only to find that the adhesive we attached the tin left, was definitely going to leave its mark!


So, I whipped out the ol' sanding blog and made it all nice and smooth again!


And can I tell you, I had butterflies about using the magnetic paint.  Like giddy school girl butterflies.  I always love giving something new a try, it was kind of like going on that first date!


I was surprised to see that it's actually dark, like a magnet.  I for some reason was expecting a light/white primer...


I followed the directions, it said it actually sets and is ready for re-coating every 30 minutes.  So, I just wrapped up my brush with some plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge in-between coats.  It definitely was a magnetic primer, I didn't even bother trying to salvage the brush at the end of all 5 COATS!  Yes, I did 5, just call me a Jedi master because I wanted to be sure that the magnetic force would be strong with this one.


As you can see, I wasn't all that careful about staying in the lines.  I knew the whole door was going to be covered with the original paint color in the end anyway.  Which is just what I did two days after letting the magnetic primer fully dry on the door.


Yep, those tins are truly magnetic!


And absolutely are sticking to the cabinet, all on their own magnetic goodness!  And surprisingly, much better than with the piece of tin that was there prior!!



I just love the simplicity of it now!


You can see that we just line them up to work around the shelves inside the cabinet:


The fun part?  Before and After?



Ooh to the la.  SO much cleaner looking!  

Who else has been playing with magnetic paint?  Anyone else totally loving magnetic spice tins?

0 comments:

Post a Comment