Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Info Post
OK.  I really should title this post, "Basement Progress: A Playroom Epic Fail and Some Minor Redemption"

That's right.  This blog is all about sharing the good and the bad.  So first, I will say, y'all were right.  I was nuts.

Nuts to think my kids are clean.  Nuts to think I am clean.  Nuts to think my dogs are clean.  A little crazy to think that even with painted stripes, I could pull off a cream rug in the playroom. 

That's where the epic fail comes in...


The rug did actually stay pretty clean for the most part.  For the most part I mean about 3/4 of it.  The other 1/4 is the end that is closest to us in this picture.

It is the part of the rug that is in a very, very high traffic area of our home.  Meaning that kids walk on it to get to the lower level bathroom.  Mom and dad walk over it to get to and from their bedroom.  The dogs walk over it to get to and from the bedroom also.  Lots and lots of feet and walking on that one section of rug.  It was getting dirty.

I tried to clean it.  But it wasn't like those fabulous chair slipcovers that can head straight into my washing machine.  It was a giant rug.  It was also the first thing you would look at, so the dirtier it got, the more frustrated I got.

I pulled it before too much damage was done.  And we were rugless for awhile.

I decided that the room was also feeling a little too "painted".  Painted tables, painted walls, painted rug, painted art display.... It needed a natural element.

So when we switched out the rug, we just went for something more natural this time around.  This one from IKEA.




No special project needed to get it in place.  Just lay it out and walk away.  Sometimes, I am OK with that....

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I actually love the way it changed the room.  I still have to try and make that room flow with our lower level family room and my studio {they are all connected in a U shape}, so the naturalness of it is a good thing.

And don't fret.  The other side of the painted rug looks like the top side did, blank slate and brand new.  I have it rolled up and I am trying to decide where I can use it, but it will not be wasted.  It will still hopefully get some love in a less foot traffic area.

I felt like another little playroom update was in order, maybe just to feel better about my mishap.

See this wall:


Take a closer look:


That freebie printable art was looking a little off.  I wasn't loving the generic ivory mattes that came with the frames.


So, I just traced the matte on some leftover decorative scrapbook paper, to cut out a new matte!


Much better!  The process was a little more time consuming than you might think, trying to cut out perfect lines with a regular ol' scissors.  But totally worth the results!



I know I always say it, but sometimes it's the little things! 

And at the risk of losing my readership, but to keep it "real", I thought I would show you the playroom getting lots and lots of love...


That's a typical day of play.  Our areas do get used, and do get messy!

Who else has a design epic fail or redemption story to share today? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment