Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Info Post
The time has come.  Time to determine the ideal workspace for the studio.  Oh I am SO excited!


I am dreaming of storage.  Lots and lots of storage.  Storage for our files.  Storage for crafting projects and all of the crafting supplies.  Storage for books and magazines and fabric and paint swatches.  Storage galore!

I would also love a workspace to spread out and do my projects on.

So for me, the studio solution is to keep a table for projecting, and a desk for computing.  Combined with storage in the form of a dresser, and then going vertical around the desk.

I did some online browsing for my dreamy ideal workspace solution.

I found this one from Crate and Barrel.  It had everything on the wish list....

Chiming in at $400, there was still a lot left to be desired.  No concealed storage.  No architectural detail...

Onto something more up my ally.  Like this one from Pottery Barn...


Now this is what I am talking about!  I will take one in white please.

Wait, what?  It's $2,800+?  No problem....

OK, so my dream desk is WAY out of our budget.  Of course, it always works that way right?

So what do we do when we can't afford the perfect piece of furniture?
  • Check Craigslist obsessively. 
  • Scour thrift stores.  I could.  I really could.  But I feel I just may be searching for an eternity since I have never in my thrifting days seen something so fantastical.  Not even with my imagination.
  • Build one myself.  Well, with the help of my handy man of course!

The last option is by far the most logical for us.  Oh yes, I am dreaming of a DIY desk!

We dabble in simple DIY all of the time.  We are sort of IKEA hacking DIYer's.  Paint, nail guns, some cutting, we can do that.  We haven't really ever built anything of this scale completely from scratch, however.  And because I am the main beneficiary of this desk, I have a feeling that my motivation is far higher than my handy hubs.  So I must keep my DIY desire on the simple side, or it may never get completed!

I used my love for Microsoft Excel to draft up a quick idea of where I am heading...


Some great vertical storage flanking a workspace.  Backed with wainscoting and topped with some pretty crown molding.  Totally DIYable!

Then, I started really having fun.  I will need some concealed storage... cabinets and drawers.  And task lighting would rock as well!


Hmmmm... maybe a great chair?  Books, art and storage boxes?


Oh yes! 

Can you see it?

Just whipping up a quick rendering helped me sell it to the Mr.  I could chat about it until I am blue in the face, but he doesn't have the same ability to visualize my ideas unless I can physically give him something to look at.  And now he is in!  We are getting out the tools as we speak!

And what we build must come in far, FAR below the $2,800 version.  We are so up for the challenge!

So stay tuned!  I will be sharing play by plays as we get this huge project underway!

Have you been the beneficiary of a great DIY desk?  If so, I would love to hear your story! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment