Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, April 12, 2012

Info Post
Something I don't do often enough is wear jewelry.  I never have been a jewelry crazy gal, but when I started having babies, and then watched kidlets daily for a couple of years, the number of times I actually wore jewelry in a given year could be counted on one hand.  I typically would wear stud earrings since those were easiest to keep away from little fingers, but now that my kids are older, I have been getting the urge to start branching out a bit.

The one thing I noticed however, is that I never really had a solid system for storing the jewelry I WANT to wear.  As they say, it was also out of site, out of mind.  So a little over a year ago when I created my jewelry earring display, I found myself wearing earrings more often!  Funny how that works.


So I decided to reinvent the jewelry storage/display wheel for the 17,489th time, and finally get the rest of my jewelry out of hiding.


Since I already had a great system for the earnings, I wanted something that would work in a similar fashion, and mimic what was already in place.

In fact, I removed the earrings from the original frame and reused that for my necklaces since I liked the size.  I only have a few necklaces and they are fairly basic, the easiest and simplest solution for me was to just add a cheapo piece of cork behind the decorative sheet metal.


I affixed the cork with some packing tape, and then held it all down nice and sturdy by placing a piece of cardboard to the back with the frame clips.

I also Mod Podged some wrapping paper to the matte of the frame, to freshen it up a little bit.  All of these simple steps gave me a glorified cork push pin jewelry board!



I found the super cute fabric covered push pins from See Jane Work, and keep them in a small dish near the frame to make this display versatile as I add to my collection.


The earrings were then moved to a slightly smaller photo frame, I just removed the matte to allow for more hanging space.  There is no cork behind the earrings so that they can just easily dangle.


Oh, and if you are wondering where this is in our home, it's in a corner of our dressing room, which is right off of the master bedroom. 

The ceramic egg tray holds a few rings, stud earrings and extra backs, pins and some other miscellaneous pieces.


I found the hand from Urban Outfitters, it makes a great place to hold my bracelets and pop my wedding ring while I snooze...


When I started the project, I weeded out anything I don't wish to wear any longer and placed those items in my donate bag.  Now, all that I own, is out where I can see it and nothing is tucked away.  Nothing will be forgotten and I can now give myself a little more bling when I dress each morning.  You know, because a stay at home bloggy mom should always be sporting some jewels...

Is there anything you have out of sight, therefore out of mind that you are itching to dig out and begin using?  Or feel free to share how do you display your girly gems, I would heart to know what else is working for my friends!


Pssst!  The display was working great, I just wanted to simplify the look a bit so I swapped out the metal overlay with some fabric and I love it even more!  YAY for simple updates!



0 comments:

Post a Comment