Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Info Post
Although I recently posted about my meal planning process here, I couldn't resist sharing another super incredible and fun way to go about it.


Reader, Megan, has recently put together a menu planning system that I thought was a great concept that many could take the idea and run with!  I will say, at first glance it seems a little intense, but really, it's quite simple and fantastic and can be tailored to your specific needs.  In the end, there is such a great return on the initial up front time investment, which makes this a fabulous menu planning option.

Megan started out with a magnetic dry erase calendar, magnetic printing paper and binders for her recipes:


She organized her recipes by category in each binder:


Then, she printed out all of their frequently used recipes onto her magnetic printing paper {I totally dig the color coding!}:


After cutting out each recipe {magnetic paper cuts like butter, just like regular ol' printing paper would}, she could use those recipes and pop them on the calendar for each day of the week!

{notice the awesome key on the left side of the calendar}



I love that she gave herself some extra magnets for eating out....


And for trying out new recipes:


And even for leftovers!


She uses codes to determine the side dishes that she plans for each main dish:



And then tucks all of the remaining magnets into a labeled divided container:



She stores the menu board with the recipes, so everything is out, visible and simple!


When I asked Megan what she LOVES about her system, here is what she had to say:
  • "I really love planning my meals only one time a month!  There were many a times {before I implemented this system} when I wanted to go get my grocery shopping done because I had some free time, but I didn't have the meals planed out and couldn't go.  Now, whenever I am ready or have time, the meal planning is done and I can just gather my list and go!
  • Although putting the board together for the month takes a bit of thought and time, once it comes down to prepping/cooking the meal, there's not much thought required {which is key at the end of a long day}.  Because of this system, I know what to pull out of the freezer ahead of time, exactly what sides I am making, and when I need to start certain meals earlier {because they take longer}.  Meal time has become so much less burdensome because all the planning is done.  I am cooking more and we are eating pizza less!
  • An added bonus: my husband never asks what's for dinner, because he can go over and check for himself!
  • The magnets are really what make this system perfectly functional for me. Like any family, there are times when I don't feel like cooking whatever meal is planned, or we are out too late into the evening to start dinner and we order pizza or have breakfast for dinner...but because the meals are magnetized, I can quickly re-arrange and adjust as necessary. 
  • Lastly, I am really, really proud of this project because I took a lot of time and effort to make this more than just a pretty picture. I really wanted something pretty {because, really, who doesn't love a color-coded menu board?!?}, but also something that was really going to work for me and my family. The final result meets all my requirements of functional, easy, and pretty!"

I couldn't agree with Megan more!

  • She thought outside of the box and used different materials to make a super functional menu planning system.
  • It is color coded to make it simple to use and learn.
  • It is visible so it will be used!
  • It is versatile.  The magnets give her flexibility in her planning and scheduling.
  • It is PRETTY!  This could have been a really sterile project, but I love that she took the time to go above and beyond and used such lovely colors.
  • She really thought things out by giving herself blank magnets for future recipes, magnets for eating out and leftovers.  Smart girl!
  • This system can be adapted and implemented by anyone.  Simple and EXTREMELY effective.
  • She is saving time and money by planning her meals so far in advance.  She always knows what to grab from the store and she isn't over purchasing.
  • My favorite part - no more "What's For Dinner?" dilemmas!

There are many more details to Megan's process that you can find over on her adorable blog here and here.

A special thank you to Megan for allowing me to share her brilliant menu planning solution!

Now it's your turn!  What's your favorite part?  Who is excited to give this a whirl?  How do you handle your weekly menu planning process?






ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!  More info HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment