Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, September 22, 2011

Info Post
You know how I know I am the most embarrassing mom on earth?  Because I locker crash my boy his first few weeks of middle school, with a bag full of organizing goodies.  And then I make him wait with his little brothers around the corner while I put it all together and then do a "reveal" when I am all finished.  All while taking photos.  To top it off I proceed to blog about it with a post titled, "Pimp My Locker".  Wow.

Before you give me a hard time for being a little on the crazy side, let me just say that his eyes when he opened up his locker and started to take it all in, were on the priceless side of things.  He tried so hard to hold back his excitement and remain "cool", but I saw through it all.  And I am not just telling myself that to make myself feel better.  I did wait until school was out after all.

What made me laugh cringe a little when I opened his locker door was the complete chaos that showed he clearly didn't get his mom's organizing gene.


Now I will give him the credit that he didn't have much to work with, but when I picked up his jacket from the floor of his locker, which was under a pair of sneakers, I found books and dirty socks.  Yikes!

My plan wasn't rocket science; I just went there equipped with all sorts of locker organizing goodies:


 1.  I actually combined number 1 {Command Picture Hanging Strips} with Number 4 {Cheapo Target Frames}, to give his locker a little personal touch by hanging pictures of him with his buddies!


2.  This magnet board is the perfect way for him to keep his assignments and reminders in one place and visible when he is packing up his bag at the end of the day.  He can jot down things like, "remember field trip permission slip" or "bring home book log" or "date with Abigail".  Oh my gosh no, not the last one, not 'til he is 23.


3.  Speaking of assignments, I adore these magnetic clips, which are just perfect for him to clip up any homework he needs to remember to bring home, or love notes from his mom...


Not that I would do that....

4.  See number 1.

5.  This next one seems to be a no brainer, but it's still totally worth mentioning.  This locker shelf gave Preston a way to keep his items from being tossed under his dirty sneakers and gives him an extra shelf of storage for his lunch box, books or instrument!


6.  So he can keep his all his little things like scratch note paper, pencils and pda easy to grab and store, I added this magnetic caddy to the door.




You may have noticed I also used my Silhouette to cut out a couple vinyl decals to dress the door up a bit, since the decals will peel right off damage free at the end of the school year.


So what did Preston think?  I know the suspense was totally just eating at him!



The kid didn't slow down long enough for me to grab a great expression picture, but he was totally diggin' his new digs!  

His brothers wanted to check things out too!


I gave Preston a little interview after the "reveal".

Mom: "So what do you think?"
Preston:  "Pretty cool!"

Mom: "What's your favorite part?"
Preston: "Probably the pictures and stickers, oh, and the orange organizer thing."

Mom:  "What part of the makeover will help you be most organized?
Preston:  "The shelf or the calendar."

Mom:  "Are you going to keep that note clipped on the door?"
Preston:  "Well mom, I really don't want to hurt your feelings and I know you really love me, so I don't need a note to tell me that you love me.  Plus, it might be a little embarrassing."

Mom:  "Embarrassing?  No way, maybe they would be jealous.  Should I write them notes too?"
Preston:  Rolling his eyes "Mooooom!"

Mom:  "You aren't going to forget your instrument any more now are you?"
Preston:  "Maybe."


Funny thing is, the next night the instrument came home for one of the first time all year.  As I always say, "mother knows best!"

Oh, and on a final note... Bryan and Parker were walking ahead of Preston, Peyton and I, and I couldn't help but snap this picture:


My little man will be walking these halls before I know it, and I will be embarrassing him too!  Time just goes too fast....

No post would be complete without a before and after!

OK, so I gotta know, what's the funniest thing you have done to embarrass your kid?  Any other mom's out there need me to crash your kid's locker?  Maybe leave them a little love note?


0 comments:

Post a Comment