Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, September 2, 2011

Info Post
I have been determined to get at least one thing done in my future studio, per week.  Could be big, could be small.  And if I get more than thing done, extra credit!

So far I have begun to organize my desk and install some hooks to get my belongings off of the floor.  It's so great that each item checked off of the "To Do" list makes such a difference in how much more I enjoy the space I am in.  And up until now, I just focused on my desk space and made sure I didn't turn my head to see this...


Just a hodge podge of magazines, catalogs, mailing supplies, craft items, etc...  I started by sorting everything down and putting things away that had a home already {like the kid's wooden bowling pin...}.

Since I am doing what I can to get this space in order on a budget, I decided to take a trip to IKEA and pick up some super cheap organizing essentials for my new space.

Item #1: BYGEL Utility Cart $29.99

{source}


I knew it was just what I needed for my laminator and Silhouette machine, ever since I saw it in the new catalog.  It would allow me to roll it to my work station when needed, and tuck it away when I was done.  The drawer could hold all of the machine tools and cords and there would even be more room for additional storage and my paper slicer.  SCORE!

Speaking of additional storage, all of those catalogs and mailing envelopes needed to be corralled, so I thought I would pair them up with this cart, and some extremely inexpensive magazine files!

Item #2:  FLYT Magazine File $1.99

{source}

While Preston assembled the craft cart {he LOVES to help build everything}, I got to work making the magazine files all pretty for my new space.


Notice, I am working at the kitchen table, because at this point, I still have no workspace in my studio without tossing everything to the floor.  Shame shame.

I instantly was forced to come up with some sort of color scheme for the new space.  I knew that I wanted it to be colorful, as I do with most spaces; however, I have gray blue walls and a large orange rug in an adjoining area to be considering of.  My gut is telling me to stick with those colors and bring in some greens, pinks and teals.  I am telling you, colors make me HAPPY.

So I played with a couple of scrapbook paper combinations...



Until I found the perfect ones.  Once I had my paper colors/patterns picked out, I traced the face of the magazine file onto the back of the pretty paper {I had to go at a diagonal to make it fit the 12x12 paper}.


And cut them all out with my paper slicer.


To attach the paper to the face of the magazine file, I used double stick tape on the very top and bottom edges, and then covered the rest of the back of the paper with a very strong glue stick.

Tada!


I chose not to cover the sides since first, I didn't have enough paper and second, they wouldn't really be seen anyway.

Because I was going to be placing different items into the different files, I needed some sort of label.  I had been seeing these ones on BHG all over, and they seemed perfect for this project!

So I printed them out in the circle format first, and figured I could just punch out the circle:


But I couldn't get the punch to work just right and everything was off center and the edges looked crummy....


It just didn't feel right to me....

So I printed onto some of my 2x4 mailing labels...


They were too big.  Strike 2.  Ugh, should have measured first and saved the waste.  My bad.

I had one more size of mailing label I thought I could try, and if that didn't work, I would have to get really creative.


But they worked out just fine!  I just had to trim a little bit of the white off of the edges and stick them on!  Yes!


And then stick the new pretty files onto the cart that Preston had just finished up!  Yes, he got it put together faster than my project got done...

 


The magazine files fit perfectly along the bottom of the cart, like they were meant to be!  I just love all the storage that the little $32 cart and magazine file combo made!  Now when I look over my shoulder, instead of seeing this...


I now see this!


So much better!  Now I can actually do my next project for the space, in the space!  

Speaking of, I am only about 15% done... so no judging just yet.  Rug needed.  Door to cover under stair storage required.  Trim to be finished.  Light fixture to be created and hung.  Artwork galore.  Giant desk built ins.  Console or dresser to find and refinish.  I can see it...

This got me thinking, how do you store your magazines?  Anyone else hoard them like I do?  What about projects that took you to that strike three zone to get it just right?


0 comments:

Post a Comment