Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, September 12, 2011

Info Post
First, I just want to thank you for all of the kind and encouraging comments left on last week's first vlog!  I am already brainstorming future ideas and topics for more videos, so stay tuned!

So now you all know why the "studio" is so important to me at the moment.  I have a lot of catching up and moving forward to do with the blog, and I would like to do it in a place that inspires me!

I haven't done a ton in the studio zone yet, just some small things like organize my desk, create a coat hook and organize my craft stand.  Of course, each little project always matters and each one gets me another step closer to a happy and organized workplace, but the room needs some life.  Some color.  Some "Jen".  And after the project I did this weekend, I finally feel really excited about my new space!

Remember this pretty lady?


Well, in order for her to be a functioning inspiration pin board, a few final steps needed to happen.

First, I found a roll of cork at a local craft store for $10 after a 40% off coupon.  I couldn't find any the exact size I needed for the frame, but the roll was enough to cover the entire backing of the frame, it just needed to be cut down and pieced together.


I used a spray adhesive to stick the cork to the frames original backing:


When it came to the fabric that I was going to use for the giant pushpin frame, I really had a hard time just pulling the trigger and making a decision, until when I least expected it, it was right in front of me.  I had been pinning all sorts of colorful options on Pinterest and even considered some fun Dwell Studio tablecloth options I had scoped out from Target.


Then, I pinned a fantastic Thomas Paul rug one day when I was in ooh la la dream land, and an amazing reader commented that she had purchased the same pattern in a shower curtain at TJMaxx.  I had been looking all over for the Thomas Paul fabric, and couldn't seem to find anything less that $50 per yard.  So off to HomeGoods I went in search of the shower curtain mentioned by Emma {TJMaxx and HomeGoods are same same so I figured I would try the closest store first}.  Sure enough, I SCORED big time!


I couldn't wait to pop that beautiful pattern inside the pin board frame.  So I took it out of the package and started to iron it.


I instantly noticed that I could see my iron board cover through the thin shower curtain.  I was worried that the cork would also show through, and give it a yellow brown tint.  Thank goodness for an old scrap sheet that we used for the dog in the car once or twice.  It was white and perfect for cutting down and placing in-between the cork and the shower curtain!


I cried a little while cutting down the shower curtain to fit inside the frame, it felt weird cutting up something that was brand new and perfect.  But I knew it was for a good cause.  Plus, I had oodles of left over shower curtain that I am certain I can bribe someone to make me a pillow cover or two with!


Here you can see that I just stuck the cork board backing into the frame with the fabric wrapped around it.  I then flipped it over, pulled it very tight, stapled the backing back into the frame and cut down the edges of the shower curtain:



Once the original hanging hardware was screwed back in, up onto the wall the finished product went!!


And I L O V E it!!!



Of course, I had to bring in some yellow, the "dream" word art was found at Goodwill for $1.99 and I sprayed it down with yellow spray paint.



The word seemed fitting...

And the pink orchid is just too fabulous.  It was a recent birthday gift from my mother-in-law.  Does she know me or does she know me?


So now I have my gray blue, yellow, tealy turquoise and pink!  I can now say I am starting to feel at home in my new space!

And I just adore that when I look over, the new wall blends so well with the laundry room!


What do you think of the frame?  It's come a long way right?  From this:


To this:


To this:


Now I just need to get some pushpins and start pinning my ideas!  Oh, and maybe finally do something with that dresser....

0 comments:

Post a Comment