Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, January 17, 2011

Info Post
So how did "Project Paper" go this weekend?  Many of you had planned on using some time to start sifting and sorting and filing!  I thought of you and cheered you on from here!  Many of you emailed me to share with me how incredible and freeing it felt to shred those documents and create loads of new space and clutterless counters.  Say it together, "WAHOO!"

So far we have done some Research, Kept and Recycled, Created a Filing System, Organized Receipts and Created a Daily Routine to Maintain

Still, I had a few skeptics asking me how in the world I am able to keep all my files in one itty bitty bin.  Well, that is step 5 in this "Project Paper" challenge.


The answer is really easy.  I have begun to go paperless.


1.  Eliminate Paper Bank Statements.  I called my two banks in which I hold my checking and savings accounts, and asked about their policies when it comes to pulling old statements.  Both banks assured me they could pull my statements up to a couple years back, at no charge to me!  Plus, I can access my banking information online, which I have been utilizing for years.  That means to me, no more need to receive those bulky bank statements each month.  All banks are different, but you can find out how to opt out of paper statements by giving them a quick call or browsing their websites.

2.  Pay Bills Online.  I choose to pay all my bills online.  Again, there are a lot of systems out there to help you do this.  I choose to log into each one of my accounts through their website to pay, I know some banks offer an easier solution to this as well.  Since I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to these things, I like to log into the physical account to view my statements, see any account activity and schedule my payments.  While logged into my accounts {utilities, credit cards, cell phone, etc...}, I opted in for paperless statements.  For every single one that offers it.  I have a checklist of accounts that I need to check and pay each month, and I also receive email notifications when statements are available for viewing.  And I can easily go back and pull any statement online faster than I ever have been able to by digging through paper files.  Some billing companies offer perks for going paperless, or may even charge you if you choose not too.... something to consider.

3.  Store electronically.  I haven't quite gone this far yet, but it is an option to know about.  Here is a great article with step by step links for getting electronic and cutter more paper clutter around the house.  With the use of scanners, computer software and external hard-drives, you may never need to keep another piece of paper again!  You just have to decide if it's worth the time investment, this is what has held me back from doing it at this point.


It's amazing the power and storage that one little machine can pack right?  That's why technology can be our bff... only not as hug-able.

That's it!  That's all I got.  The concept is pretty easy really, but it's such a vital part in how I can easily keep paper under control.  Less paper coming in means less piles on the counter or papers to stick in a file, and paying bills online means less check writing and stamp usage and envelope licking.... ew.  Plus, it saves a tree right?  That's reason enough!

Many of you have dropped hints that going paperless was also your success story in maintaining your filing systems.  So what other tips do you have for individuals who haven't gotten around to going paperless yet?


I decided a little challenge would be fun! This month we are getting all those papers in order!  Wanna join?  Take pictures and blog about your awesomeness as you go!  I am hoping to do a giant, "We did it!" celebratory post where we can all link up our paper filing success stories at the end of the month!

0 comments:

Post a Comment