Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Info Post
Toys.  So great for your kiddos imagination, not so great for your home.  You see, toys can quickly take control of every single room in your home.  But the key word there, is CAN.  It's all about finding an organized system that not only keeps toys corralled, but is also to maintain, for both you and the little tykes!

We had the most amazingly kid friendly and organized play haven.  It was a dream space, I adored it as much as they did, and we spent majority of our time in it.  You can check out the details of the space here...

So imagine the blushing red my face became when I received the following email... Autumn wrote:


Hi Jen,
I was totally inspired by the toy organization in your basement playroom and I promised you before and after pictures. 
I have two little girls and I watch another little one during the week. With three little ones four and under in a home with less than 1200sq ft, you can’t help but be surrounded by toys!  We needed a better solution and when I saw your playroom I knew your bookshelf would be perfect to stash all of the toys but still keep them visible so the little ones know what they can play with. I'm including the post I wrote about the toy organizing where I feature your amazing playroom. I'm also attaching the pictures to the email in case they are easier to view via attachment.
Thanks for your inspiration!
Autumn

And she blogged:

Some days my house feels like one big giant toy box!
Clutter Problem-too many toys and books with nowhere to put them.

 


Here is an example of toys lacking a defined home also known as things everywhere! 


Even though parts of my home felt organized, I was determined to find a solution to the toy clutter problem. I came across this awesome playroom on iheartorganizing and was totally inspired by the toy organization. I love how she has a place for everything and how the storage is all clearly labeled. This is a perfect example of how an organized space does not need to be sterile or uninviting. This room still looks like a fun room where some serious playing can happen.


I was especially drawn to the Ikea bookshelf (Expedit) because I had seen it used for similar a function in a house crashing by younghouselove


I knew this bookshelf would be a perfect and inexpensive way to stash all the toys but still keep them visible so the little ones know what they can play with.

Solution- Open bookshelf with cubbies to house all our toys and kids' books and also be kid friendly and accessible to facilitate easy access to toys.

I was ready to run out to Ikea right then and there. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough moula in our home decorating budget. I had to wait.  Then I had my light bulb moment!

I did a quick Craigslist search and discovered there is a ton of Ikea furniture on Craigslist! Best of all I found the Expedit bookshelf right next to my husband’s office for $50 less than the store price. Score! I wasn’t too concerned about any minor scratches because it was bound to get a few more in the kids’ room. 


The girls helped me wipe it down and prep it for use in the room and then we were ready to fill it!


The radio, games, craft sets (in the white bin), piggy bank, porcelain tea set and special books we read together are on the top. While play sets were placed on the bottom shelf to make drawer-like bins that can easily move to the floor for playing. Books and miscellaneous toys make up the rest of the cubbies. I also designated a specific spot for library books for easy retrieval when we head off to the library.


Any other toys were donated or stored in their closet for future rotation. I rotate toys monthly or bimonthly to help keep things fresh and keep the kids from feeling too overwhelmed with options.  We have a generous walk-in closet that provides ample parking space for the big toys too.

 
What I love - all of their toys are in one spot so there is only one place to look when deciding what to play with and only one labeled spot to return toys when cleaning up. 


I plan on replacing the bottom tubs with baskets that fill in the whole cubby which will give the bookshelf a cleaner look. But for now I am using what I have.

Bonus- saved $50 big ones!


I just love when something that works well for one, works well for another... and another!  Just proof that it's a great idea to check out some inspiration when planning to make updates to your space!  It's a great method of planning!  An extra high five for finding one on Craigslist for a portion of the cost!  And those labels!  WAY TO GO AUTUMN!  I get asked all the time how to get kids to help putting their belongings away, and that is always my "go to" solutions.  Kids love playing "matching" games, so being able to match a toy to a picture, is actually fun for them and they will be more willing to help put their toys away!  Wahoo!  I am giddy for you!

Who else ADORES the Expedit bookshelf to no end?  Anyone sporting one for their toy storage as well?





P.S.  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and un-editted.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your routine for the better is so helpful!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment