Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Info Post
Who says I have to let the winter blues take over.  Don't get me wrong, I adore the color blue.  But not when it comes to my mood.  And winter can definitely have that effect on me... short days, lack of the required Vitamin D the sun provides, not to mentioned it gets to arctic records of coldness....

So as wrong as it may sound, I am already thinking spring like thoughts... Lots of green thoughts!  And that was the theme I went with when updating our shelving display!

Here is our pre-holiday display:


It was OK.  But I didn't realize the potential it boasted until I had so much fun decorating for the holidays!  That's when the "just there" shelves changed to "show stopping" shelves!


I decided that I really adored the new look, and was quite sad when I went to take it down.  I really evaluated what made me adore the new feeling so much more than before...

Here is what I came up with:

1.  More balance.  It was more symmetrical than previously.
2.  Wall filler.  The wreath really took up the empty vaulted ceiling space on the wall.
3.  Natural elements.  I liked that I was able to bring in some of the outdoors and create a more natural feeling.

Keeping those key things in mind, here is where I landed on the new display:


Told ya I went green!

I really liked the fun and fresh subway art and that I used a whiter frame, so the frame stayed and I just added some new decorative paper.


I have always been a fan of keeping out my prettier cookbooks, to add a splash of decorative color:


I just shopped my home for all things green or natural...


Notice that some things from the holiday display remained?  Like the mason jar tea-lights and the white salt and pepper birds?


Instead of using a wreath to take up that tall wall space, I switched it out with a bamboo platter.  Again, loving all the natural elements that came in!  Feels just like spring!  Goodbye winter blues!

A view from above?


I also have to mention, that I planted my first ever plant from a bulb, and didn't kill it.  Yet.  Seriously, my jaw dropped this morning when I actually spotted a bud!  Whoot!


So there you have it.  The evolution of a shelf!

     

Anyone learn any around the home decorating solutions, due to the love of a holiday display?  How do you learn your decor tips and tricks? A favorite magazine?  Favorite blogs?  By accident?

0 comments:

Post a Comment